 Off-Topic / Debate / 13064
Re: Thinking Out Loud...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 22 Sep 2001 16:39:52 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Eric Kingsley writes:

I see madness ahead for us all.  No one defends true justice, just all of
this wild west, "dead or alive", with us or against us type crap spewing
from the hellish mouth of our president.

Well sir, I suggest you keep your big mouth shut and not say that in public.
If you do you are asking for big time trouble.

Eric, let's not go there.

I happen to think Richard goes a bit too far but if we cannot tolerate
voices of dissent and discuss this rationally we are too far gone to
triumph, and too far gone to *deserve* to triumph (1).

All viewpoints should be heard. Some, of course, are so laughable that they
need to be dismissed out of hand, but we need to hear them first. And
perhaps in hearing them we will expose them for the folly that they are.

But we MUST not knee jerk, as tempting as that is. This war will be a long
one, a tough one, perhaps the toughest war we have ever tried to prosecute.

Unless some clear cut opportunity presents itself for an arrest, there is
need to start any full scale actual battles until we know who we are
battling. Just marching into Afghanistan right NOW, or worse, bombing
innocent civilians without first giving them a chance to learn what this is
about and decide what side they are on is a recipe for disaster.

Sorry if I jumped on you to make a point that I think you mostly agree with
but that statement of yours to Richard set me off. We CANNOT suppress
dissent, even if it's totally wrong. And Richard is by no means totally
wrong. Not hardly.

1 - make no mistake, this IS a war about morality. By our standards, which
*are* correct, as has been demonstrated before, we are moral and our
opponents are not. We are on the side of freedom, they are on the side of
oppression. We are on the side of justice, they are on the side of violence.

++Lar