 Off-Topic / Debate / 12955
Re: Thinking Out Loud...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 18:07:22 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Dave Low writes:

snippo

Read some of the links posted here, the interviews with him, the link I gave
here: http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=12938, the NYT article
analysing the fundamentalist message.

I read that article from the New Yorker --  a really valuable perspective
piece I thought. Vollmann does more than describe the Taliban message too,
he gives a good background on how they were brought to power by decades of
misery in Afghanistan.

"freedom is good" snipped

And I think their statement deserves a reply. It is not the duty of the US
to right all the world's evil. But if in going after the perpetrators of
this particular evil we happen to take a fundamentalist dictatorship or two
down, that's OK by me.

But it's not a "conventional" dictatorship. There is no charismatic despot,
no military junta; just a whole lot of fundamentalist imams and a generation
of men whose only education was war and the Koran. I don't believe that
"toppling a dictator" is ever sufficient to change a country's government:
in Afghanistan there isn't even a dictator to topple.

Agreed. I wasn't keen on the "nation building" exercise we tried in Somalia,
it failed dismally. But maybe that's what is required here. I have no idea.
What's the alternative though? I am *opposed* to just going in and
indiscriminately lobbing bombs or killing civilians. That will accomplish
nothing. Something much more akin to careful disassembly is required.

Problem is, that's a great metaphor and sounds good but isn't exactly a plan
you can just roll out.