 Off-Topic / Debate / 12956
Re: The Taliban... some things to mull over
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 18:18:28 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Eric Kingsley writes:
Of course just "cutting the head off of the organization" (aka bin Laden) >isn't
going to do it by itself.  Somehow funding has to be cut off.  You probably
also need to take out his closest aids as well because I am sure bin Laden has
probably made arrangements for power to pass to them in the event of his
capture, or death.

There is indeed the money angle. bin Laden's(1) organization runs on money,
and his rather large personal fortune is kept in institutions in the west.
Once it is proven that he's involved in this (or other) terrorist actions,
(2) it may be time to track that fortune down, dollar by dollar, and
confiscate it.

If the capitalism/the west is so bad/evil/whatever, why let him use
capitalism and the safety of banks against us?

CNBC, I think it was, reported today that the put(3) activity against UA and
AA was something like 10-25 times what it normally was in the week before
the attacks, and it has never spiked like that before. That suggests to me
that someone expected the stocks to crash, based on knowledge. Tracing those
connections would be a good start.

I have to square all that with my distaste for civil forfeiture, though.

1 - his middle name isn't capitalised... for the nitpickers out there, does
that mean you shouldn't capitalise it even at the start of a sentence? I
forget...

2 - which by the way has already been proven to my satisfaction for the
other actions like the embassy bombings, so we can start now.

3 - just in case... a put is the right to sell a stock at a given price.
Buying out of hte money puts is a cheap way to speculate that a stock is
going to go down. Way cheaper than selling short.

++Lar