 Off-Topic / Debate / 12958
Re: The Taliban... some things to mull over
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 19:46:25 GMT

   Oh boy!

   Someone asked for a nitpicker.  Here I am!  I'd so
   hate to disappoint.

   <geek>

1 - his middle name isn't capitalised... for the nitpickers out there, does
that mean you shouldn't capitalise it even at the start of a sentence? I
forget...

   In the case of Arabic, because it's Romanized, the LC
   and Chicago standards are that in-name particles like
   "ibn" or "al" (I would not be surprised if "bin Laden"
   is, in its original Arabic, "ibn Laden") are *not*
   capitalized within a sentence, but when they start a
   sentence, they *should* be capitalized.  (Chicago 7.12)

   I can't speak for MLA; I don't have an MLA guide at
   hand.  But I'm willing to bet MLA style won't contravene
   the LC on a matter of transliteration.

   </geek>

   best

   LFB