 Off-Topic / Debate / 12944
Re: Thinking Out Loud...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 12:58:01 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Santosh Bhat writes:
Very well put Richard, Lets finally look at the root cause.

All this talk of attacking, revenge, terrorism.

Can someone please tell me why these people did these horrific acts?
What drove them? was it the only option they had to make their statement?

And that must be why they did what they did. To make a statement. Yet does
anyone listen to them or are we going to just ignore them again and sit in
terror and fear until they decide to do it again?

Well...

I heard them. I heard what they were saying BEFORE this. bin Laden's jihad
isn't just about Israel being mean to the Palestinians. It's way more than that.

Read some of the links posted here, the interviews with him, the link I gave
here: http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=12938, the NYT article
analysing the fundamentalist message.

I heard their message. I reject it.

I reject the notion that capitalism is evil.
I reject the notion that women are meant to be oppressed.
I reject the notion that a jihad is ever justified.
I reject the notion that a country should have a mandatory religion.
I reject the notion that freedom is a bad thing.

Rather, after studying their message, I am forced to conclude that the
Taliban, and bin Laden, and the Moslem fundamentalists everywhere who preach
these things... THEY are the evil ones. Still, I can tolerate them far
better than they can tolerate me.

I heard their message. I reject it.

And I think their statement deserves a reply. It is not the duty of the US
to right all the world's evil. But if in going after the perpetrators of
this particular evil we happen to take a fundamentalist dictatorship or two
down, that's OK by me.

Someone said, why are we going after bin Laden now, why didn't we before?
Why go after terrorists now?

Well we don't always go after every shoplifter right away either.
Forebearance is not absolution.