 Off-Topic / Debate / 13098
Re: Thinking Out Loud...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 23 Sep 2001 13:17:30 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Eric Kingsley writes:

I see madness ahead for us all.  No one defends true justice, just all of
this wild west, "dead or alive", with us or against us type crap spewing
from the hellish mouth of our president.

Well sir, I suggest you keep your big mouth shut and not say that in public.
If you do you are asking for big time trouble.

Eric, let's not go there.

I happen to think Richard goes a bit too far but if we cannot tolerate
voices of dissent and discuss this rationally we are too far gone to
triumph, and too far gone to *deserve* to triumph (1).

All viewpoints should be heard. Some, of course, are so laughable that they
need to be dismissed out of hand, but we need to hear them first. And
perhaps in hearing them we will expose them for the folly that they are.

Well first of all we are all wearing our emotions pretty close to the vest
now-a-days so I may have said something I wouldn't have under normal
circumstances.  Unfortunately these arn't normal circumstances.

I see where what I said sounded like a threat.  I didn't mean it that way.  I
meant it as a honest (all-be-it stern) warning.  I mean Richard no harm but he
should know that making such statements about the president right now would not
make him very popular.

Personally some of the "peace demonstrations" and some of the posts here have
made me pretty upset.  That doesn't mean I think they should be barred from
voicing their point of view.  I just think their point of view is misguided at
this point in time.  Thats my oppinion

Sorry if I jumped on you to make a point that I think you mostly agree with
but that statement of yours to Richard set me off. We CANNOT suppress
dissent, even if it's totally wrong. And Richard is by no means totally
wrong. Not hardly.

Well you are right in the fact that I do agree with you on this issue for the
most part.  I also don't think we should suppress dissent.  I do however think
Richard is more wrong than you might.

1 - make no mistake, this IS a war about morality. By our standards, which
*are* correct, as has been demonstrated before, we are moral and our
opponents are not. We are on the side of freedom, they are on the side of
oppression. We are on the side of justice, they are on the side of violence.

Damn straight.

Eric Kingsley