 Off-Topic / Debate / 13141
Re: Thinking Out Loud...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 24 Sep 2001 02:24:28 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford continues to squirm:

I quote *again* from your reply to Horst:

"Thank *all that is worth living for* that the heroes on board that flight
*weren't* pacifists."

This *is not* the same as "what was done on flight 93 was *not* an act of
pacifism".

One is talking about people, the other is about the act. Maybe the attack was
violent, maybe it wasn't. Does it matter? These people made a decision in a
moment of stress, and that doesn't give us any information about whether
or not
they were pacifists. The initial quote implied it was a fact, and it isn't.

Unless "a little bit pregnant" == "not pregnant", pacifists don't commit
violent acts. Sorry.

Maybe people who think pacifism is a good idea some of the time do, maybe
former pacifists do, maybe people who wish they were pacifists do, maybe
people who are lapsed pacifists do, but these people, at the moment that
they did the heroic thing that they did, were not pacifists.

Which, assuming viiolence was involved[1], I agree with. You did not, however,
include the extra information in the statement I originally challenged, and
*still* disagree with. You've subsequently provided three alternative staements
(including the above) which I *have* agreed with. I think there was
squirming[2] on both sides, don't you?

ROSCO

[1] Which I also agree is likely, but still not proven.
[2] Your word - I prefer to think of it as tossing around ideas to try and
resolve a difference of opinion.