 Off-Topic / Debate / 13114
Re: Debunk this?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 23 Sep 2001 20:27:04 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Arnon writes:

Now, does Israel use force or violence with the intention of coercing
societies or governments?  Sure they do.  And so does the US.  And so
do the Palestinians.  Are we all members of terrorist organizations?
It seems a little funny to think of it that way, but maybe it would
do us well to actually think it through.

If what you are saying here is that all the countries [1] in the world are
terrorist organizations then I think you should find a new definition.

Well, that's what I meant by it seems a little funny.

If you think that Israel somehow stands out of the rest of the countries,
please say what makes it different in your opinion to justify the title of "a
terrorist organization".

I must grapple with the wrongs perpetrated by my own nation.  My interest in
Israel as a potential "terrorist organization" comes mainly from the fact that
my nation has strong ties with Israel.  I'm not prepared to single it out,
though I do find Dan's (and Horsts?) history informational since my own
knowledge is pretty scant.

What, in your opinion, clears your government from the category of 'terrorist
organization?'

Basicly, that it doesn't kill innocent civilians on purpose.

Is killing the only measure of terrorism?  Was South African apartheid
terrorism?  When a nation acquires land from another with valuable resources
attached, and as a result, the standard of living for the "victim" nation
decreases and that of the victor nation increases, is that terrorism?  Is
hateful graffiti on the walls of an American mosque terrorism?

I'm not sure on all of these, but I think the answers are no, yes, maybe, yes.

Chris