 Off-Topic / Debate / 13178
Re: Debunk this?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 24 Sep 2001 19:18:30 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Dave Low writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Daniel Jassim writes:

Well, how many resolutions/motions to condemn Israel have there been in the
U.N.?

A lot. Some have passed, and some, as you point out, have been vetoed.

I would ask you though, if you think UN resolutions are something to pick
and choose from, or whether one has to accept them all. If the latter, does
that mean you acknowledge Israel's right to exist (within the original
borders)? That, after all, was a UN resolution as well. It also gave the
Palestinians a homeland, IIRC.

If you reject that particular resolution, you probably ought not to refer to
UN resolutions in support of your arguments at all.

A few references

Israel's changing border:
http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/israel.htm

I've complained about Mr. White before but I should turn around and praise
him for what he's done well. The interactive historical atlas that this is a
part of is pretty amazing... the TOC is here:

http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/20centry.htm

There is a LOT more there than just the map of Israel that David refers to.
I liked some of the animated GIFs best. For instance the 1945-1990
government alignment timeline that I ran across. Pretty amazing.

U.S. Vetoes of UN Resolutions Critical of Israel
http://www.us-israel.org/jsource/UN/usvetoes.html
  general assembly resolutions here:
    http://www.us-israel.org/jsource/UN/gatoc.html
  security council resolutions here:
    http://www.us-israel.org/jsource/UN/sctoc.html

Yes, the US favors Israel, I don't think I am denying that... but how does
this have bearing on my question?

Does Dan accept the original UN resolution founding Israel and giving it a
right to exist (and the Palestinians a separate homeland) or not? If not, is
he a pick and chooser (1) or does he intend to stop citing UN resolutions in
support of his case?

1 - I should note... *I* am a pick and chooser when it comes to the UN...
and thus I don't cite UN resolutions very much at all as justification for
anything. But since I don't (much), the argument doesn't (much) apply to me.