 Off-Topic / Debate / 13136
Re: Debunk this?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 24 Sep 2001 00:57:29 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Dan Boger writes:
you've pointed this out before - you fail to mention that Sharon has been proven innocent in the past...

I am pretty sure I have never mentioned this in the past.  So I have no idea
what you are talking about.  I think you are mistaking me for someone else.

And I am really not sure about the previous acquittal -- but I am willing to
read a cite if you have one (it's put up or shut up in this game -- where's
the information?).  BTW, is there some reason you think European courts
would entertain a frivolous case?

1)  The guy says "Moderate physical pressure" the reporter writes "torture".

Right.  And he, perhaps being guilty, would be scrupulously honest for some
reason?  It's weird he let it slip at all...

2)  The fight against terrorism isn't "against your own people".

Actually, I am not sure what you mean by this.  Does Israel not consider the
PLO a band of terrorsist, and does Israel not have de facto rule over the
occupied territories?  This is probably putting it mildly.

3)  If there's good intelligence that there's a suicide bomber heading twards Tel-Aviv, and they catch someone in his cell that has info about it, as far as I'm concerned, they can use any means needed to stop that terrorist.

Then it's a damn good thing that you are not in charge, because I'd like to
think we live in a world of civility and laws.  Of course, those of you who
oppose my views seem to be doing a great job of proving this idea of mine to
be false whatever we might wish it otherwise (and the Constitution, or any
other notion of Human Rights be damned!).  I see that instead of the rule of
law, a lot of you are willing to be ruled by mob law (if that isn't an
oxymoron).

I can't really think of an occasion when it would be okay to torture anyone.
You make me sad.  I find this callousness on your part deeply troubling.  I
want to think well of my fellows, but I am not sure what to make of this
attitude of yours.  You have all of the advantages in life (presuming you
are an American as I am), why are you so bitter?

And before you answer, let me say that both of my parents have actually been
tortured for political reasons in another country.  One of cousins lost his
right hand throwing a terrorist bomb out the door of a crowded restaurant.
So don't pretend you have some deeper issue at stake.  Save it.  Open your
heart.

4)  The very next paragraph:  "Torture of any kind was outlawed last year by Israel's supreme court." - If someone does use torture, he's breaking the law and _will_ go to jail.

I don't know if you noticed this fact, but the Israelis seem more concerned
about pressure from Europe -- in house they seemed to be doing nothing at
all to keep themselves on the right side of the issue.  It's just like in
the U.S., no one faces charges unless they get caught with their hands in
the cookie jar...

-- Hop-Frog