 Off-Topic / Debate / *2931 (-100)
  Re: Language slipping?

(...) Obscene is one of a number of slippery words that are contextually defined. In most english speaking countries, for example, bodily waste is refered to by multiple terms, some "obscene", some not. It generally depends on the context for most (...) (25 years ago, 22-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Best selection of parts to mess around with

(...) here's a fun one I thought of a while back- Given- showing a man shirtless on TV with nipples exposed is ok. Given- showing a shirtless woman on TV is ok as long as we black out the nipples. Question- If I were to take the area of the woman's (...) (25 years ago, 22-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Language slipping?

(...) Then tell me what "obscenity" is, since it exists. (...) That's my point about how subjective it is. One zealot who says any word/image/sound/obj...ought/farm animal is obscene is a crazy man- if we get enough of those zealots together, (...) (25 years ago, 22-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Panaka is yellow?

(...) If LEGO wants to do that, fine. I hope there will be a classic smiley face head (in at least yellow head) accessory pack. I really have a hard time equipping Classic Spacemen with the awful new heads they have been coming out with. None of (...) (25 years ago, 22-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Language slipping?

(...) I don't think anyone would argue that obscenity is anything other than a social and/or personal convention, rather than some inherent quality or state; it's largely a matter of consensus. That's not to say obscenity doesn't "exist"--it exists (...) (25 years ago, 22-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Panaka is yellow?

(...) Perhaps Lego could just say they were all Danish before. ;-) At any rate, whatever political condemnation TLC might get, not only would it be minor and virtually unheard by the REAL target market (i.e. the kiddies' parents, which may be more (...) (25 years ago, 22-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Panaka is yellow?

(...) Well spoken, Scott. This whole skin-tone thing must've started back in the 60's..what'd they have for part color back then? Red, Yellow, Blue, Black and White? Given those choices, I guess it was easy enough to just crank out the yellow heads, (...) (25 years ago, 22-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Panaka is yellow?

(...) I just built it before coming to work this morning, and saw the pictures as well. it looks like they repeated the series of pictures twice. maybe they screwed up? If it is Panaka (We call him Captain Pancake at the office - Long story, along (...) (25 years ago, 22-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Adventurer Maps

(...) I saw a website that had theorized they used water - essentially making an artifical lake, and building a pyramid in it (very simplified), which seemed more feasable than many theories I've heard. <plays the URL hunt game>.. Here: (URL) stuff. (...) (25 years ago, 22-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Adventurer Maps

(...) I don't believe it. Sandstone doesn't form naturally that easily, it needs a lot of pressure. Besides, that would mean that they were poured _nearly into place, and then they removed the pouring case from under it - if they had poured it, (...) (25 years ago, 22-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Policy clarification regarding catalogs

(...) I should have realised it sooner. However, it's best to remember, that when discussing theory, it's best to think in "theoretical" boxes rather than actual ones. (...) Heh. (...) They're quite possibly fairly irrelevant on Lugnet, what with it (...) (25 years ago, 22-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Taxes from Lego auctions?

(...) Nitpick: Usury. (...) Because moneylending is as close as anything can get to being the one thing that makes this world possible. Do you know how many more times there is "virtual" money compared to real-world assets? Where do you think Intel, (...) (25 years ago, 22-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Adventurer Maps

(...) What about the theory that the blocks are a type of cement? That they were poured into place? I don't remember who put forth that theory, but it was on one of the (numerous) shows about the pyramids. Jeff P.S. Did you know that Europe/Africa (...) (25 years ago, 21-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Adventurer Maps

Nephilim wrote in message ... (...) the (...) and (...) the (...) we? (...) it (...) I find this interesting. I didn't check the link, but the quote above has a certain je ne sais quoi. While it sounds good, its not believable. Just because five (...) (25 years ago, 21-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Non-LEGO Tax Debate - Was:(Re: Taxes from Lego auctions?)

To all, I think we have debated on taxes a lot from off.topic.debate, I know I chimed in my views as well. It is one of those things that no one really likes all that well, and I for one, would like to see the government go back to the roots which (...) (25 years ago, 21-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Taxes from Lego auctions?

David Eaton wrote in message ... (...) not be (...) in (...) 5 to (...) line (...) independantly. (...) (as (...) to (...) don't (...) "should" (...) they (...) While I agree to a point with you, I also agree to a point with Chris. I don't think (...) (25 years ago, 21-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Taxes from Lego auctions?

(...) You want me to cosign your view on banks and usary? Not I. The fact that the world banks are playing an increasingly elaborate shell game of "where's the digital money" does nothing but disgust me. Unless you are yourself a bank owner, I (...) (25 years ago, 21-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Policy clarification regarding catalogs

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jasper Janssen writes: <snipped Q&D explanation of firewalls & so forth> (...) I will bow to your expertise. Yes, I did (instinctively) take your reference to webserver to mean a physical box - that's probably because if (...) (25 years ago, 21-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Policy clarification regarding catalogs

(...) A firewall is generally a machine on the internet at large, yes. The things protected by it aren't, in the sense that some things are filtered out by said firewall. A firewall is logically, and usually physically, not a webserver, or a (...) (25 years ago, 21-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Taxes from Lego auctions?

(...) Didn't I mention that the topic had drifted way away from toy auctions and into taxes in general? Or did you just not read anything I wrote? (...) I notice you don't bother to address any of the actual points, though. Jasper (25 years ago, 20-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Policy clarification regarding catalogs

<snipped .admin.general - this is getting obviously into the realm of just (...) A firewall must exist (at least in part) on a machine that serves the internet at large. Like I said before, a couple posts ago: "you're defining webserver differently. (...) (25 years ago, 20-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: 2000 scans

(...) to (...) You mean....that all brits *aren't* like Basil Fawlty? Gosh, what a revelation! :-) Bruce (25 years ago, 20-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Taxes from Lego auctions?

(...) I guess no worse than worrying about paying taxes on toy auctions, that's for sure... BTW, I take GREAT offense at what you try to imply about me with this little joke of yours. I happen to find you equally ill-informed. May the boots of your (...) (25 years ago, 20-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Policy clarification regarding catalogs

(...) I don't think it's normally illegal, no, although I would be surprised if there weren't at least a few gray or semi-gray areas lurking there vis-a-vis publishing links to unannounced products. Mostly I meant wrong in the sensibilities sense, (...) (25 years ago, 20-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Policy clarification regarding catalogs

(...) HERE! HERE! I agree 100%, well put Lar. :-) (25 years ago, 20-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Policy clarification regarding catalogs

<385C70D7.568E345D@voyager.net> <FMzorw.GrH@lugnet.com> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit (...) Well I did some digging to find examples but not as much as I could have. While I'd love to devote the time (...) (25 years ago, 20-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Taxes from Lego auctions?

(...) The Universal declaration of Hum.. Oh. Wait. Forget I said that. (...) So how does this relate to taxes? I don't think I've ever heard of a court case where it was ruled that you don't have to pay the taxes defined in the laws of the land. If (...) (25 years ago, 19-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Policy clarification regarding catalogs

(...) What do you mean "firewalls are on an unsecured webserver"? I think you need some more grounding in the terminology, cause I can't make head nor tail of what you're trying to say. If it should happen to be be "otherwise unsecured webserver (...) (25 years ago, 19-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Policy clarification regarding catalogs

(...) Uhm, excuse me, exactly what did I saw that was wrong about the law? --Todd (25 years ago, 19-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Policy clarification regarding catalogs

(...) No. Refuse, once released to an ordinary refuse collection service, is no longer the property of the originator. If you don't want people viewing your secret plans, shred them and contract with a secure document service which retains control (...) (25 years ago, 19-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Taxes from Lego auctions?

(...) Amen to that, brother! (25 years ago, 19-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Policy clarification regarding catalogs

(...) Bringing up a world-readable image on a publicly accessible webserver (by any means - either mistyping or experimenting with urls) and invading someone's privacy by going through their medicine cabinets. I don't think you were try to imply (...) (25 years ago, 19-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Taxes from Lego auctions?

(...) Poppycock! Since you are apparently in the Netherlands I guess it might be understood that you do not entirely understand the questions involved as they might relate to citizens of the United States, although perhaps you are a U.S citizen (...) (25 years ago, 18-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Policy clarification regarding catalogs

(...) Claims like that are allowed to stand all the time, and they still get knocked over in court when they try to enforce them. It doesn't matter what a company claims it's legal rights are, it matters <cynicism> how good their laywers (...) (25 years ago, 18-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Policy clarification regarding catalogs

(...) If you insist. But no amount of sniping is going to convince me that "webserver"=public. What about firewalls? They're on an unsecured webserver, too - does that make them "public?" (...) And I am saying I don't care about the legalities. I (...) (25 years ago, 18-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: 2000 scans

(...) You're all ready to go on Jerry Springer as guest, or worse, audience, or worse yet, host. Aren't you? Jasper (25 years ago, 18-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Taxes from Lego auctions?

(...) The democratic majority agreed. You agreed. As simple as that. Jasper (25 years ago, 18-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Pastel = Profit (Was Re: 2000 Dealer catalogue Removal Request Backfire?)

Tom Stangl, VFAQman wrote in message <385AA831.A7538733@vfaq.com>... (...) is NOT (...) don't (...) Yes. You are 100% right. The problem is 100% with TLG. Somebody there is pretty naive I think. Crazy way to run a company - I have to use get past 2 (...) (25 years ago, 18-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.general)

  Re: 2000 scans

(...) I dunno. I've seen some pretty awful American tourists. That might not mean (...) It's all a balancing act -- the issue of "your rights end where my nose starts" writ large. Generally, it's been acknowledged that certain intellectual property (...) (25 years ago, 18-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Policy clarification regarding catalogs

(...) Gee. That's rather a cop-out, isn't it? (...) Yes, it does. (...) This is not about courtesy. At all. This is about a claim Brad made that it was _legally_ so. I am not saying it isn't impolite (though I don't agree..), I am saying it isn't (...) (25 years ago, 18-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: 2000 scans

<sarcasm> yes it just pleases me to no end that shows like 'Dawson's Creek', 'Friends' and 'Beverly Hills 90210' go to other countries. </sarcasm> They're bad enough in this country where we know there is no way someone lives like that, let alone (...) (25 years ago, 18-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Policy clarification regarding catalogs

(...) Interesting side-issue: what about going through the garbage in the alley? I could see it either way - people don't generally leave sensitive information in the dumpster, unless they're idiots, but legally, is acquiring, say, hardware (...) (25 years ago, 18-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: 2000 scans

(...) If you think about the vast number of television programmes that spew forth from America and pollute the rest of the world.. then it isn't that suprising that people have this opinion. Almost every other idiot on television is an American, (...) (25 years ago, 18-Dec-99, to lugnet.adventurers, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Policy clarification regarding catalogs

(...) What two? (...) Heh heh...no, that's not what I meant by "summoned up"; I was referring to snooping or URL trolling. If I summoned up an image by accident, I'd be surprised more than anything else. --Todd (25 years ago, 18-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Policy clarification regarding catalogs

(...) No, you're defining webserver differently. I'm not going to bother quibbling semantics with you. (...) No. "in a place public can get to" != publically available != published. The three of them often co-incide, but do not necessarily do so. (...) (25 years ago, 18-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Policy clarification regarding catalogs

(...) Wow, I've been quite reasonable AND made an excellent point today. I'm on a roll. ;) (25 years ago, 18-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Policy clarification regarding catalogs

(...) That's silly. Those two have absolutely nothing to do with each other. Brad even specifically mentioned something about "by accident or by intent". So you're telling me that if you accidentally mistype a character in a URL and end up seeing an (...) (25 years ago, 18-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Policy clarification regarding catalogs

(...) I may revisit this tomorrow after all the spirits are flushed out of my system, but on the surface this is a bogus analogy. Front window/back window. Signs pointing HERE - Look at this! No signs pointing to other areas, but stuff still there (...) (25 years ago, 18-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Policy clarification regarding catalogs

On my site, I assume that ANYTHING on my site will be viewed by someone sooner or later. If I don't want it viewed, I remove it. The most I do for "security" is put index.html files in directories that I might consider sensitive. But then again, I (...) (25 years ago, 18-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Taxes from Lego auctions?

Christopher Weeks wrote in message <385A9C3C.C9739DE6@e...se.net>... (...) You really need to bow down to the great Larry more often. If you did, you wouldn't make so many misteaks... Frank (25 years ago, 18-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Policy clarification regarding catalogs

  Re: Policy clarification regarding catalogs

(...) Heh heh. No no, I mean when you find some directory with 755 permissions (instead of 711 permissions) and it's got no index.html file, but it's got a home.html file linked to from elsewhere, and home.html contains links to 5 images in its (...) (25 years ago, 18-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Policy clarification regarding catalogs

(...) You mean you go back and see what you should have felt guilty about, in retrospect? I think that's going a bit overboard! (25 years ago, 18-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Policy clarification regarding catalogs

(...) I didn't mean it quite that literally. Correcting an obvious typo or fixing broken \'s to /'s is something I think anyone could do without feeling guilt! :) I meant things like trying to guess names of files from partial information, or if (...) (25 years ago, 18-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Policy clarification regarding catalogs

(...) I'm coming to think so too. To me, this is fundamentally why we have a URLs -- Uniform Resource Locators. The ability to identify and access resources directly is a basic design decision underlying what makes the WWW what it is. If the intent (...) (25 years ago, 18-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Policy clarification regarding catalogs

(...) Probably. (...) Maybe you haven't spent much time on personal homepages. Misspelled links in the source are more common than correct ones, it sometimes seems. Oh, and of course all webdevelopment gets done on case-insenstive FAT16/32. And then (...) (25 years ago, 18-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Policy clarification regarding catalogs

(...) Hmm, maybe that's the heart of the controversy right there! I dunno about the net population at large, but I'd certainly experience guilt feelings if I summoned up an image to which there was no readily- obvious hyperlink, because I'd assume (...) (25 years ago, 18-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Policy clarification regarding catalogs

(...) Anything in a store _is_ for sale. Anything that isn't for sale isn't _in_ the store, it's _a part of_ the store. That's the only way for the analogy of the web to a store even to remotely work. (...) No he doesn't. He agrees with me in every (...) (25 years ago, 18-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Policy clarification regarding catalogs

(...) Aha. Flawed analogy. There were NO SHEETS. It was not only out in the open, it was in the main room of the party. Jasper (25 years ago, 18-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Policy clarification regarding catalogs

(...) I don't see how this corresponds. 1. She didn't invite people over specifically to see her paintings, she invited them to housewarming which happened to display a few paintings. On the other hand, the entire purpose of Lego's web site is to (...) (25 years ago, 18-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Policy clarification regarding catalogs

(...) False analogy. Your conditions don't match Lego's, at least in my estimation. If you stated that the artist's display was on the street, in public, and has the other works uncovered in an inconspicuous but equally public location, then we have (...) (25 years ago, 18-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Policy clarification regarding catalogs

(...) (25 years ago, 18-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Policy clarification regarding catalogs

(...) All right. You have this artist friend. She paints things. She invites you and fifty other people over for a housewarming party. Great party, lots of fun, lots of neat things going on. She's got a couple of her latest paintings up on display, (...) (25 years ago, 18-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Meijers in Grand Rapids

(...) I believe I saw it in the GR Press but I can't be sure of the reference chain beyond that. Hey, it fit my preconceived notions about the national press so I bought it. :-) (25 years ago, 18-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Pastel = Profit (Was Re: 2000 Dealer catalogue Removal Request Backfire?)

(...) ...unlocked, with the keys in the contact, pink slip on the dashboard, and with a sign in the window saying in large, friendly letters "This car is free to anyone who wants it". Just to complete the analogy, and all. Jasper (25 years ago, 18-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Policy clarification regarding catalogs

(...) Nope, it's not. It's a very close analogy to what Jasper posted: "Yes, it is. Anything on an unsecured webserver is being published." Which you refute much more logically below. (...) Yes, but we're disagreeing on what consitutes "documents (...) (25 years ago, 18-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Policy clarification regarding catalogs

(...) Yeah, this whole thought of calling it "snooping" seems ridiculous to me. How many times have you had to manually edit URLs you've come across because they just didn't plain work until you "hacked" away at them? If it's world-readable and (...) (25 years ago, 18-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Policy clarification regarding catalogs

(...) I agree. If I can see by normal means (no serious hacking) using a normal URL and a normal web browser some information that Lego doesn't want me to see, then the fault lies with the webmaster of that site, not me. "We put all this info here (...) (25 years ago, 18-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Policy clarification regarding catalogs

(...) That's a false analogy. Obviously, not everything on the web server itself is public. For example, www.lego.com runs on Microsoft IIS on top of NT 4 -- obviously the system software is not publicly viewable. But everything in the "documents to (...) (25 years ago, 17-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Policy clarification regarding catalogs

(...) Not to put to fine a point on it...hogwash. That's the same logic as "Anything in a store is for sale, that's what a store is FOR." James (URL) (25 years ago, 17-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Pastel = Profit (Was Re: 2000 Dealer catalogue Removal Request Backfire?)

(...) Well, it was apparantly an error on somebody's part, because the pics and links are gone. Honest curiosity, how does that affect the 'public info' thing? I mean, I agree with most of the people around here, that if information is on the public (...) (25 years ago, 17-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Pastel = Profit (Was Re: 2000 Dealer catalogue Removal Request Backfire?)

(...) "If you don't want me to drive away in your car, don't leave it in the parking lot." 8^) All in fun, Dave! (25 years ago, 17-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Pastel = Profit (Was Re: 2000 Dealer catalogue Removal Request Backfire?)

Yep, and I'll respect that statement. But I certainly WON'T agree with it. Putting pics on an open website and then saying "hey don't look at those" is NOT the way to run a website. Don't put them there in the first place, if you don't want them (...) (25 years ago, 17-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.general)

  Re: Pastel = Profit (Was Re: 2000 Dealer catalogue Removal Request Backfire?)

(...) LEGO made an official statement today: (URL) (25 years ago, 17-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.general)

  Re: Ponte Vecchio - Elevated Road Bridge Over Rail

(...) Huh. Well, it's entirely possible that the walkway once connected the Uffizi to Pitti. I mean, certainly the Machiavelli had enough money to throw at it to get it accomplished. It seems a little absurd, but certainly physically possible, and I (...) (25 years ago, 17-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Taxes from Lego auctions?

(...) Ayup! I guess I couldn't be troubled to check for mistakes in the middle of a rant. Thanks for catching that. Chris (25 years ago, 17-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Ponte Vecchio - Elevated Road Bridge Over Rail

(...) Eric, I'm not sure about whether or not the passageway is walkable from the Uffizi to the Pitti palaces, (partly because I've never been to Florence) but I have a large book on sights in Florence, and it show an arial view of the old town. (...) (25 years ago, 17-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Taxes from Lego auctions?

(...) I think that's quite a bit more extremest than the original statement, but in essense, yes. If it came down to you paying $3.50 or being put in jail for 5 to 10 years, I'd hope you'd pay the $3.50, because it really ISN'T worth the trouble of (...) (25 years ago, 17-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Taxes from Lego auctions?

(...) Boy, I know some people express some extreme positions, but this one takes the cake! VBG. I assume you meant: "At least most CPAs are NOT actively engaged in murder." (25 years ago, 17-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Taxes from Lego auctions?

(...) Am I right in taking what you are saying as: "technically, you may have the right to evade taxes, but you'll get in trouble and it's really much easier if you just go with the flow. After all, the government slowly stripping away freedoms (...) (25 years ago, 17-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Taxes from Lego auctions?

(...) since (...) us (...) one (...) to (...) Key word here is "still." I get a little paranoid (in some weird cases, considerably) about forever etching my words on the net. There was a poll recently on AOL about gun control. With our somewhat (...) (25 years ago, 17-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Meijers in Grand Rapids

[F-UP to .debate, not that this is much of a debate, but it is o-t, and not shopping, and .debate was already on the list.] (...) Got a reference for that? I've wondered, but I've never seen any solid documentation of the 1st/2nd cast vs. (...) (25 years ago, 16-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: Has anyone ever been missing a piece?

(...) Oh, don't get me wrong, I know. It happens. I've been on that side of the fence a few times myself. Jasper (25 years ago, 16-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Meijers in Grand Rapids

Steve, (...) Thanks. Very interesting, and I even learned something from it! :) Scott S. ___...___ Scott E. Sanburn CAD Operator Affiliated Engineers, Inc. Work Page: (URL) Page: (URL) LEGO Page: (URL) to come: Star Wars LEGO Sets Parts Selling (...) (25 years ago, 16-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Meijers in Grand Rapids

Thanks for that ref. notice how it claims the American Horse is a second cast. Incorrect. It is as if you took two sets and mingled the pieces, then reassembled them. Not possible to say which set was first and what set was second any longer. (each (...) (25 years ago, 16-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: COMPLETE LIST OF NEW SETS FOR 2000

Chet Corbin <citeman@aol.com> wrote in message news:FMAz0B.CnK@lugnet.com... (...) retailer (...) "In a (...) you (...) I was the source of that 'leak'. It's in my 1996 retailers catalogue, but I didn't notice it until about 1998 (when I started (...) (25 years ago, 16-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Meijers in Grand Rapids

(...) See (URL) Especially, find the section "The American Horse". Steve (25 years ago, 16-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: Has anyone ever been missing a piece?

(...) <fairly major snippage> (...) That door swings both ways, though. While unhappy customers can be/often are hard to deal with/unwilling to admit fault, the other end occurs often as well. A company with a poorly designed/managed customer (...) (25 years ago, 16-Dec-99, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Meijers in Grand Rapids

(...) That would have been the da Medici's, IIRC, with their lovely political advisor Machiavelli. And Genoa. (...) They died. (...) That would be 6.mumble meters, right?[1] Jasper [1] Follow-ups to _that_ can go to /dev/null. (25 years ago, 16-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Meijers in Grand Rapids

(...) < Snipped Larry's telling of the horse & Fred Meijer > Wow, that is incredible. Just goes to show how biased the media is, and how entrenched they are in class warfare. Fred has brought thousands upon thousands of jobs and careers to people, (...) (25 years ago, 15-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Meijers in Grand Rapids

Another Michigan native? Wow, where did you grow up? I grew up in Manton, just north of Cadillac. (...) (25 years ago, 15-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Meijers in Grand Rapids

(...) "Me too"... Being a Michigan native, I really miss Meijers since I moved to Minnesota. Growing up, it was always a big deal to visit the relatives near Jackson (MI) since that meant we got to stop at Meijers which sold LEGO, unlike all of the (...) (25 years ago, 15-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Meijers in Grand Rapids

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Edward Sanburn writes: <snipped market from the groups list> (...) OK, there's a lot of mumbling coming up here.. It's the talk of GR. :-) Apparently, Leonardo Da Vinci was commissioned by <mumble>, who was ruler of (...) (25 years ago, 15-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bit quiet here..

(...) Best I could do with what you handed me.. The setup line is as important as the resolution, after all. Jasper (25 years ago, 15-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Meijers in Grand Rapids

Larry, I love Meijer too, I have since I was little, and continue to do so. Fred Meijer is what America is all about, and I am glad I can work for that store, and shop there as well. A business born in Michigan, I might add! :) (...) Man, I am (...) (25 years ago, 15-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: States Go After Online Auctions; $1000 fines

(...) Hmm... Just goes to show how idiotic, ignorant, and totally useless government is when when it is too big, too powerful, and has too much money. "You're under arrest, Mr. Sanburn." "What?!? May I ask why?" "You violated Section 456.98.0898 (...) (25 years ago, 15-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Bit quiet here..

(...) I DON'T want to talk about that. But if you want to spar, why do you make such lame jokes? that soccer ball thing was pretty weak, surely you can do better? (25 years ago, 15-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Meijers in Grand Rapids

Steve Bliss, all around good guy, but resident of an inferior school district, opined on how swell Meijer is: <I snipped it> Meijer rules. And Fred Meijer is aces. He MADE Da Vinci's horse happen and those hoity toity coastals didn't even invite him (...) (25 years ago, 15-Dec-99, to lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Bit quiet here..

Well, there seems to be little traffic here, so i thought I'd try and summon up some discussion. James Bulger. Discuss. Jasper (25 years ago, 15-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Sr. VP Justus of LEGO Direct.

[followup to .debate, cause I don't think this belongs in admin.general] (...) Ignorance I can deal with. Willful stupidity and bigotry I can't. (...) So what words, exactly, are vulgar? Whit? Sheesh? Luser? American? Let's just say that I disagree, (...) (25 years ago, 14-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact