 Off-Topic / Debate / 2914
Re: Policy clarification regarding catalogs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 1999 05:12:30 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jasper Janssen writes:
<snipped Q&D explanation of firewalls & so forth>

You may not want to "quibble semantics", but when your definitions are
quite simply and clearly different from the rest of the world, things
get really unclear.

I think the main problem is that you are insisting on seeing things in
the physical sense, and getting confused because you don't know
exactly what is going on (which is no shame, just means you're not an
IP (in the Internet Protocol sense) geek).

I will bow to your expertise.  Yes, I did (instinctively) take your reference
to webserver to mean a physical box - that's probably because if I'm dealing
with a webserver (or any server, generally) it's making weird noises, and has
broken bits. ;)

<snipped stuff>
But you weren't talking about _demonstrating_ intent to publish, you
were talking about _determining_  intent to publish. And you never
clarified that. In the absence of any other clues, I have to go by
what you write, not by what I think you may have meant.

Fair enough.  I don't see much of a difference between the two, but I can see
how they could be interpreted very differently.

I would really like to hear why you think that illegal means can't result in
something being on the web (which, as far as I can tell you think means 'is
published') as easily as legal means.

When it's on a public webserver it is published. When it is there via
legal means there's intent-to-publish. When it is there via illegal
means there is not (necessarily) intent-to-publish.

My position in a nutshell.

Much the same as mine, now that we've got the vocabulary down. :)
I suspect the only signficant difference (and it is significant!) in our
positions is that you feel strongly about the legalities of it, and I think
they're fairly irrelevant.

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/