 Administrative / General / 3781
Re: Policy clarification regarding catalogs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 1999 06:05:26 GMT

Jasper Janssen wrote in message <3883b8a7.264236860@lugnet.com>...
Retroactive cancelling on account of new rules is _Bad_. It's
downright _Evil_.

It's akin to bookburning. Even if those books are copies of Mein

Kampf, that is just as Evil.

I don't think it is equivalent to bookburning. In the case of posts which
are a clear violation of TLC's copyrights (and I think there are some of
those), Todd I think would actually be legally obligated to delete them if
asked. This is the same as if I printed up 100 copies of someone's book and
tried to sell them. The author would have no problem at all getting a court
to order the destruction of those copies (and can even order the destruction
of the copies which are already sold).

Is eBay's deletion of the occaisional slanderous feedback also equivalent to
bookburning?

In the end, since Lugnet is a private resource, Todd has complete legal (and
moral) authority to cancel any posts he desires if they no longer meet the
standards he sets for his server.

Frank