 Administrative / General / 3767
Re: Policy clarification regarding catalogs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 1999 02:06:08 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Jasper Janssen writes:
Maybe you haven't spent much time on personal homepages.
Misspelled links in the source are more common than correct ones, it
sometimes seems.
Oh, and of course all webdevelopment gets done on case-insenstive
FAT16/32. And then it gets uploaded to a *nix server.
[...]
Don't tell me you've never encountered any of those, and have never
hand-entered a URL into a browser.

I didn't mean it quite that literally.  Correcting an obvious typo or
fixing broken \'s to /'s is something I think anyone could do without
feeling guilt!  :)  I meant things like trying to guess names of files
from partial information, or if someone gives their homepage URL as:

   http://www.foo.foo/~foo/home.html

and nowhere is there a link to

   http://www.foo.foo/~foo/

but you load that up and discover that it's a raw HTTP directory listing,
and you can see all the filenames in that directory and click up all of
the images one by one.  After visiting someone's site and seeing all the
pages, then if you go to this index page, it's usually pretty easy from the
link colorings to see which images were intended to be viewed and which
were hidden through obscurity (no visible links).  Granted, anyone who makes
this kind of information browseable is either doing it on purpose or is a
complete webidiot, but it's still something that I'd (personally) hafta
call a form of snooping.  YMMV.  :-)

--Todd