 Administrative / General / 3745
Re: Policy clarification regarding catalogs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 1999 00:36:12 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Matthew Miller writes:
James Brown <galliard@shades-of-night.com> wrote:
That's the same logic as "Anything in a store is for sale, that's what a
store is FOR."

That's a false analogy.

Nope, it's not.  It's a very close analogy to what Jasper posted:
  "Yes, it is. Anything on an unsecured webserver is being published."
Which you refute much more logically below.

Obviously, not everything on the web server itself is public. For example,
www.lego.com runs on Microsoft IIS on top of NT 4 -- obviously the system
software is not publicly viewable. But everything in the "documents to be made
publicly available" area of the web server certainly is. Just like "everything
in the sales bins in a store is assumed to be for sale". But that's still not
very good, because viewing something isn't even close to the same thing as
purchasing it.

A better analogy might be:

Anything in a newspaper is meant to be read. That's what a newspaper is for.

Yes, but we're disagreeing on what consitutes "documents made publicly
available".  My thinking is much more in-line with Todd's here:

  http://www.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=3741

As a real-life example, there is a directory on <http:www.shades-of-night.com>
that gets pictures and documents posted to it to make them available to friends
of ours who can't (for whatever reason) receive them via e-mail.  Are they
"published"?  No.

As another example, what if I receive an e-mail from company X, because I'm a
loyal customer.  It gives me a code that I can enter on their website that
takes me to a "special offers" area where I can get a deal on product A.  The
information on the other side of that code could be linked directly by a URL,
but it certainly isn't meant to be publically available.

In both these cases it could be argued that it's the designer's fault for a
poorly designed website, and to a certain extent, I agree.  But I would argue
that merely because something is on the public side of a fireway or encryption
key does not mean it is published.

Certainly it is the originators right to determine "intent to publish", not Joe
Public.

I could give other examples  as well, and I'm not even remotely an expert.

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/