 Administrative / General / 3765
Re: Policy clarification regarding catalogs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 1999 01:43:54 GMT

Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:
Hmm, maybe that's the heart of the controversy right there!

I'm coming to think so too.

To me, this is fundamentally why we have a URLs -- Uniform Resource
Locators. The ability to identify and access resources directly is a basic
design decision underlying what makes the WWW what it is.

If the intent were for content to be browsed to from web server root pages,
such a scheme wouldn't have been necessary, or even desirable.

I dunno about the net population at large, but I'd certainly experience
guilt feelings if I summoned up an image to which there was no readily-
obvious hyperlink, because I'd assume that the reason there was no link
was because I wasn't supposed to see it or find it.  Then again, I'm not

See my examples in other posts. And Mike Stanley's excellent point that it's
extremely frequent to come across a web page containing typos or mistakes
due to HTML generators (IMG SRC=C:\blah.gif) which can be easily fixed if
you understand how it probably ought to be.