 Administrative / General / 3771
Re: Policy clarification regarding catalogs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 1999 02:29:03 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Matthew Miller writes:
Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:
pages, then if you go to this index page, it's usually pretty easy from
the link colorings to see which images were intended to be viewed and
which were hidden through obscurity (no visible links).  Granted, anyone
who makes this kind of information browseable is either doing it on
purpose or is a complete webidiot, but it's still something that I'd
(personally) hafta call a form of snooping.  YMMV.  :-)

You mean you go back and see what you should have felt guilty about, in
retrospect? I think that's going a bit overboard!

Heh heh.  No no, I mean when you find some directory with 755 permissions
(instead of 711 permissions) and it's got no index.html file, but it's got
a home.html file linked to from elsewhere, and home.html contains links to
5 images in its directory, but there are actually 7 images in the directory.
If you look at the other 2 that aren't linked to, then IMHO that's snooping,
unless there's a link somewhere to the directory itself.

--Todd