 Administrative / General / 3743
Re: Policy clarification regarding catalogs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 1999 00:22:45 GMT

Christopher Lannan <shakguy@hotspammail.com> wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Matthew Miller writes:

Anything in a newspaper is meant to be read. That's what a newspaper is for.

(To pound on my earlier point a bit more: it doesn't matter if it's on the
front page, or happens to be on page D47, at the bottom of the third column
and not listed in the index.)

I agree. If I can see by normal means (no serious hacking) using a normal URL
and a normal web browser some information that Lego doesn't want me to see,
then the fault lies with the webmaster of that site, not me. "We put all this
info here where everyone can see it, but if you look at it you're in trouble."

Yeah, this whole thought of calling it "snooping" seems ridiculous
to me.

How many times have you had to manually edit URLs you've come across
because they just didn't plain work until you "hacked" away at them?

If it's world-readable and comes out over port 80 or whatever
without asking for a password or something else - it's not wrong to
look at it.  Nor would it be wrong to publish a link to it, aside
from possible netiquette issues about images, etc.

If you run a site and you put things on it you DON'T want people to
see and they're world-readable, it's _your_ problem, not their's.
This isn't wandering into someone's house because their door was
unlocked, it isn't "snooping" - the best analogy I've seen so far is
Matthew's back window analogy.  If you don't want the stuff seen,
don't leave it out there to be seen.

--
The parts you want and nothing else?
http://www.guarded-inn.com/bricks/