 Administrative / General / 3823
Re: Policy clarification regarding catalogs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 04:22:10 GMT

[...]
Depending on how one construes "WRONGFULLY", (2) it left me with the
impression, correct or incorrect, that your position was that posting
links that one found by nosing around on a public server was not merely
impolite, but actually illegal. That's wrong. It isn't illegal, just
rude.

I don't think it's normally illegal, no, although I would be surprised if
there weren't at least a few gray or semi-gray areas lurking there vis-a-vis
publishing links to unannounced products.

Mostly I meant wrong in the sensibilities sense, although obviously any
stolen or other otherwise illegally-obtained materials would also be wrong
in the legal sense.  (Not that links are wrong in the legal sense, but
retailer catalogs could be, theoretically, depending upon the chain of
information transfer.)

Anyway, the subject line of that message was the real gist of the message.
(i.e., LUGNET is not a leak club.  There are other places on the Internet
for that.  We want to play fair here.)

[...]
2 - and normally, "wrongfully" is used when speaking in a legal sense.
Hence my read

OK, I see.

--Todd