 Administrative / General / 3824
Re: Enough already
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 13:52:10 GMT

Robert M. Dye <robdye@writeme.com> wrote:
The fellow who spent several messages last week screaming that Todd should
have to "prove it, prove it, PROVE IT! (that copyrighted materials belonging
to LEGO belong to LEGO, and that if they might be offended at releases of
retailer catalogs for the current and future runs might be offensive to them
then we ought not be releasing them) struck me as a moron. The position Todd
has taken is the only reasonable one, as far as I can see.

Calling Tom Stangl (or any of us) a moron is over the line.

I'd like to note that the MAJORITY of the name-calling within our
own community has come from the side of the fence that seems to want
to shut people up if they aren't going to just accept whatever TLC
says as gospel and be "respectful".

How about you, Todd, myself, and others try a _little_ harder to be
respectful of each other?  Many of you people have given me an
infinite number of more reasons to be respectful of YOU than TLC has
ever given me.

Look at it this way.  We have a very nice yard to play in. It's big, it's
roomy, and it has many interesting things to play with.  We COULD spend all
our time straining against the fence, but if we do, and we knock the fence
down, the owner of these nice things may come collect them, to prevent them
from being damaged or stolen. OR, we COULD simply appreciate the yard for
the many nice things it contains, and hope that more will be added in the
future.  But to DEMAND that more things be placed in the yard, things WE did
not make and do not own...well, this strikes me as a trifle arrogant, and
ungrateful.

There is a price to be paid for ingratitude. Let us pray we do not have to
pay it.

I'm not demanding anything from TLC at the moment.  The only thing
I'm demanding, from you, Todd, and everyone else, is that you don't
keep calling other people in our community names.

So as to not come across as a saint, I said some pretty strong
things yesterday about some people here being suck-ups.  I still
think that, although I might choose a more classy word like
psychophant today to describe what I'm seeing.  But I also think
psychophant is a lot different than moron.

As far as "paying" the price of ingratitude, I'm not worried.  I'm
paying REAL GOOD money every year for products from a company that
before a couple weeks ago didn't seem to give a blurk about me one
way or the other.  I have more than enough bricks and pieces to last
me a lifetime.  If TLC wises up and steps into the 20th century
before we move into the 21st (down math geeks!) maybe they'll see
more of my money.  If they don't, maybe they'll see less.  But I
doubt they could do much of anything that would seriously impact me
or my hobby in a negative way, at least not as badly as seeing one
of my good virtual buddies called a moron.

--
The parts you want and nothing else?
http://www.guarded-inn.com/bricks/