 Dear LEGO / 962
Re: Enough already
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 16:50:02 GMT

Robert M. Dye <robdye@writeme.com> wrote:
I said what I said, and I stand by it. The fellow (I have not gone back to
look up who it was) who took the tack of "Oh, yeah!?! PROVE it!" came across
to me as a moron. I do not say that he is one (although I admit that this is
a very small distinction), but that IS how he struck me.  Will you fault me
for the impression I receieve of someone?  That seems an odd position to
take.

I am not sure, but it sort of looks as though Mike Stanley attributed the
"he struck me as a moron" comment to Todd.  That was NOT Todd speaking, it
was me.

I know it was you, and I certainly didn't try to imply it was Todd
saying that, although Todd said some thing that got me riled
yesterday.

And yes, there is _little_ distinction between calling someone a
moron and saying they strike you as a moron.  If I said you struck
me as a jackass would that offend you less than if I called you a
jackass?  Phrases like "came across as" "strikes me as" "seems like"
etc are all phrases that people employ to, on the surface at least,
remove themselves from the active nature of what they're saying.

And no, I wouldn't fault you for your impressions.  I'd fault you
for your lack of tact in describing another very important member of
our community whose feelings as a _human being_ ought to matter to
you a helluva lot more than how much a corporation "feels" we
respect it.

Just like I'd say how we treat Brad out to be respectful even if we
admit we have quite a bit less respect for the company he works for.

Feels kinda weird to be championing the cause of "playing fair" with
each other when some of you guys are so fired up about "playing
fair" with a company that has, in some respects, treated us like
flabberdigoop until very recently.

--
The parts you want and nothing else?
http://www.guarded-inn.com/bricks/