 Dear LEGO / 988
Re: Enough already
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 1999 00:01:45 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Jasper Janssen writes:
On Mon, 20 Dec 1999 01:00:41 GMT, "Robert M. Dye" <robdye@writeme.com>
wrote:
.
Paying the price of ingratitude could mean seeing ALL copyrighted material
come off the web. It could happen, and LEGO would be well within their
rights under copyright law to demand it.

They'd be in their rights to demand it.

It would not happen.

The web simply doesn't work that way. Did you miss the dozens of posts
screaming "someone email me the 2k dealer scans, I'll put them up"?

Not that it's necessarily entirely a good thing, but it is reality.

Sure, when a company tries to stop the dissemination of
information on the net, that information usually goes
underground.  But that's besides the point, in my opinion.
I don't want to have to beg people to send me instruction scans
by email, and I don't want to have to go poking around hotline
servers or the like to find them, when I can now just follow a
link from the lugnet/pause set database directly to
brickshelf.com.

Driving information underground doesn't really do a
community any good.  I'd rather it not happen.

--

jthompson@esker.com    "Float on a river, forever and ever, Emily"