 Dear LEGO / 955
Re: Enough already
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 14:30:34 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:
<snip>
Hear, hear!  IMHO, all of this backlash is ridiculous.  The LEGO Company is
being *extremely* generous in allowing scans of any their copyrighted materials
up on websites *at all*[1].  Yet, all some people can do is complain that they
aren't getting enough.

It saddens me that this "backlash" is taking place at this time...as a
community made up of many individuals with strong opinions there have
always been voices opposed to Lego Company practices, but it's too bad
that such fervent criticism is taking place just as the Lego Company
makes official overtures to us...kinda like lighting a nice, big roaring
fire on Christmas Eve for Santa :)

<snip>

Back in 1993, before rec.toys.lego existed and alt.toys.lego was still in its
infancy, Steve Putz wrote LEGO Systems Inc.'s Legal Department and asked for
permission to publish scans of old instructions on the Internet and whether the
general practice was OK.  The reply came in February of 1994, and the answer at
that time was "No."  Within hours of Steve's report, Paul Gyugyi, who had been
hosting the earthsea.stanford.edu FTP site, voluntarily removed the scans that
had been hosted there, out of respect for TLG's wishes.  Everyone was sad to
see it go, and Steve caught flak for doing what some people thought was a
stupid thing, but Steve did act responsibly (and subsequently so did Paul).

<snip>

I love hearing stories about the early days of r.t.l and a.t.l...I
starting reading r.t.l in late '96, so I feel I missed out on some of
its best years.  One of my first online encounters with Lego was at the
earthsea archive...I remember downloading a raytaced Lego scene of a car
going into a black brick tunnel...I think that was the first Lego image
I ever saw online...it would be neat to see again if anyone happens to
have a copy somewhere :)  Let's make this a good community that we and
new members will be able to look back upon with fondness too..

--
Thomas Main
main@appstate.edu