 Dear LEGO / 951
Re: Enough already
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 09:54:23 GMT

Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote in message
news:385ce0d5.267874625@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.dear-lego, "R2" <r2eng@primenet.com> writes:

<snip>

We asked for clarification from LEGO and we got it!! I may not agree • with
it, but I will respect it. It's not my company!!!!! Please have some • respect
for their opinions.

<snip>

It's good to nail down legal idiosyncracies (tactfully and politely, as • Larry
did) and to separate the true legalities from the polite wishes, but • there's a
point where all of the bickering and ungratefulness turns sour and becomes
nothing but annoying noise for Brad and his colleagues.  I don't think • LEGO
Direct came here to be disrespected.

FWIW, Rose, I suspect that you're actually in the majority rather than the
minority; it only takes a few loud-mouths to make a big uproar, and I • sense
that people who do respect LEGO as a company are generally keeping their • mouths
quiet or standing up to defend its ideals.

What are you trying to say? Don't you think that you've just crossed the
line a little bit? I generally defend MY OWN ideals, not the ones from a
company, if they not conicide with mine. Lego is a COMPANY and I'm it's
CUSTOMER. We don't have a romantic relation yet, AFAIK. By saying and
defending whatever I believe or whatever I think is correct is not being
desrespectfull, and if the newly introduced TLC relations with AFOLs would
ever require us being quite, I can strongly say that it would have a road to
go to hell.

<snip>

We have been brow beating them (Lego) ever since Brad's first posting • and I
am ashamed of the model were are presenting of the AFOL's.

I am ashamed as well.  99% of the people here are, I think, mature adults • who
respect LEGO as a company and would bend over backwards to play fair, • given the
magnitude of the leniency that LEGO has shown in recent years.  Because of
that, I think it's unfortunate that a few sour grapes are able to make • such a
stink.  Inasmuch as it's anyone's full legal right to make a stink and • express
opinions, I think the result only slows down the chariot.

--Todd

Todd, until very recently, I saw you as a nice leader (more like a Guide)
but the last two weeks of discussions show that your fanaticism about the
relations with TLC (I know it's a years of dream that came finally true) is
way beyond the normal and I think you should watch what you are saying. At
least, they are not the words that I get used to hear from you. This is not
that I don't share anything about the main idea, but by saying such things
like above, you are crossing the border somehow by stepping on top of some
very basic principles. They just like the words from an anti democratic
government that whining about citizens' objections, which I very get used to
in my place of living.

I was not born to be a cheerful applauser of any company, organization, or
person. TLC has the right of taking any action which they have legal right
to do, and they also could just politely ask from us not to do something
which has not a legal base. Talking about what they are doing is wrong or
right, is not being disrespectful. And if what they are asking for us not to
do (or to do) has no legal basis, they SHOULD show us that their wants are
REASONABLE first.

Just in the case of, your the ruler of the Lugnet but when asking something
to do, you should have a legal basis or it should be stated in T&C if you
want me to confirm it without any objection. This does not mean that I would
act against what you want, but I would always be whining about it, and it is
just my RIGHT.

"Sour grapes" similarity is an unfortunate one, by the way, since most of
the objections that I've read are somewhat reasonable. Just as you said, 99%
of us are MATURE ADULTS and individuals. AFOL means "Adult FAN of Lego"
(note the singular fan) to me, not a group of freaks who thinks and behaves
the same, whatever the condition is. My only similarity between the other
AFOLs could only be the love of brick (note might not be the company) and
I'm still an AFOL whether anybody ashamed of me or not. Being ashamed about
myself is none of anybody's business, at all.

So let the chariot thing go slower.

I hope this is not so sarcastic but I think it should be said.

Selçuk