 Dear LEGO / 974
Re: Enough already
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 20:05:28 GMT

Mike Stanley wrote:

<snip>

I agree with most of what you said there.  I think you missed the
main point that Matthew, Jasper, myself, and others tried to make,

Yeah, I think we got y'all's point.  But I think the real point is:  legalities
aside, TLC didn't want that material distributed around.  Just because one is
*able* to get something on this side of a firewall doesn't necessarily mean one
*should*.  The whole "it's fair game out there on the 'net" is an RTL attitude;
discretion, tact, maturity, and respect are LUGNET attitudes.

TLC asked us not to do something.  Maybe they think they have a legal brick to
stand on-- whether they do or not is irrelevant.  Instead of crying out that our
civil liberties are being violated, let's just *willingly* abide.  It's not
really that big a deal, IMHO.

and there is little point in rehashing it because you've probably
just let your knee jerk at reading some of the inflammatory things
Jasper said or maybe some of the incorrect things Tony said, so let
me just leave it by saying:

I'll show TLC as much respect as it shows me.

How, exactly, would you suggest they do that?  Isn't the mere presence of a TLC
representative like Brad participating in our little forum an acknowledgment of
AFOLs?

I'll show Brad as much respect as I show Todd.

I'd like to think we ALL can show each other as much respect as we
want in return.

The people to people respect is, imo, more important than this
bizarre devotion to the Lego company.

There is no bizarre devotion to TLC, but to its product.  I think the thinking
is that ingratiating oneself to the company is a better way to be acknowledged
by them rather than ranting and complaining.

I'm thinking this is a watershed time for AFOLs.  Let's rejoice and be
optimistic, instead of being Humbugs-- at least it's more fun.

-John

--
The parts you want and nothing else?
http://www.guarded-inn.com/bricks/