 Dear LEGO / 981
Re: Enough already
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 22:05:26 GMT

John Neal <johnneal@uswest.net> wrote:
TLC asked us not to do something.  Maybe they think they have a legal brick to
stand on-- whether they do or not is irrelevant.  Instead of crying out that our
civil liberties are being violated, let's just *willingly* abide.  It's not
really that big a deal, IMHO.

You're right.

Let's just say that I don't want to be told my access privileges
here are revoked if I happen to post a link to a picture that, for
whatever reason, wasn't linked to on www.lego.com.  That's just one
minor thing I could see happening if the "we'd like it if you do
things this way" requests of TLC become automatic word of law around
here.  Which I don't see happening, btw.

I'll show TLC as much respect as it shows me.

How, exactly, would you suggest they do that?  Isn't the mere presence of a TLC
representative like Brad participating in our little forum an acknowledgment of
AFOLs?

It's a start.  We've had someone from Lego here before, though.

There is no bizarre devotion to TLC, but to its product.  I think the thinking
is that ingratiating oneself to the company is a better way to be acknowledged
by them rather than ranting and complaining.

I don't need to ingratiate myself to anyone, let alone a company
whose products I buy to the tune of 100x the rate of it's normal
market, but you can if you wish.

But I get your point.  I'd just say that, up till now, NOTHING has
worked - not even "hey, we'd offer to pay you whatever you want for
a run of these parts - literally, whatever you want."  Ignoring
those kinds of statements showed, to me, more than an ounce of
arrogance.

I'm thinking this is a watershed time for AFOLs.  Let's rejoice and be
optimistic, instead of being Humbugs-- at least it's more fun.

Well, I've got a lot more concrete things to be rejoicing about
right now, not the least of which is being almost finished with my
MCSE, something that should translate into real benefits for me a
lot sooner than these proposed changes to TLCs dealings with us.
I'll rejoice about those when something other than words appears. :)

--
The parts you want and nothing else?
http://www.guarded-inn.com/bricks/