 Administrative / General / 3729
Re: Policy clarification regarding catalogs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 22:36:01 GMT

On Fri, 17 Dec 1999 21:02:28 GMT, "Dave Schuler" <orrex@excite.com>
wrote:

If a book is copyrighted, but the copyright doesn't expressly appear on each
page and in each picture in the book, it's still infringement to re-publish
information from those pages.  How does this differ from the posting of links
or re-publication of images taken from a site, even if those images don't have
embedded copyright warnings?

It is the same as posting the images.

It has NOTHING AT ALL to do with posting links.

I recognize that posting links, rather than actual images, is different, but
I don't think the overarching answer is "if I can get at it, it's fair game."

Yes, it is. Anything on an unsecured webserver is being published.

That's what a webserver is FOR.

Jasper