 Administrative / General / 3728
Re: Policy clarification regarding catalogs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 22:34:07 GMT

On Fri, 17 Dec 1999 20:22:19 GMT, cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com (Mike Stanley)
wrote:
Frank Filz <ffilz@mindspring.com> wrote:

Fairly reasonable.  I don't particularly agree with the "if it's
there on the server for you to see if you mistype a number in a URL
but isn't specifically hyperlinked you can't 'publish' a link to it"
interpretation.

"publishing a link may be copyright violation"

That means that either you were the author of the appropriate RFC and
retroactively retracted your putting in the Public Domain of the URL
scheme, or that "Hey, the LIC in Orlando has some cool new catalogues"
is also a copyright violation.

Typing a link does not, will never, and never has constituted
publishing of the information _contained in the bloody document_.

Any more than a brochure advertising a book constitutes publishing
said book.

I guess I might feel differently if the Lego website didn't bite so
hard,

This is not an issue open for debate as far as I'm concerned, btu
you're entitled to your own opinion.

I would even support Todd's canceling any currently existing messages
which make such offers, or point to web pages containing such
information.

I wouldn't.

Retroactive cancelling on account of new rules is _Bad_. It's
downright _Evil_.

It's akin to bookburning. Even if those books are copies of Mein
Kampf, that is just as Evil.

I don't agree with that.  This smacks of the various wrong-headed
lawsuits we've heard about where some company has tried to hold Site
A responsible for the information that Site B is displaying simply
because Site A has a link to Site B.

Etoy.com. Nuff said.

Jasper