 Administrative / General / 3755
Re: Policy clarification regarding catalogs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 1999 01:27:57 GMT

On Sat, 18 Dec 1999 00:14:56 GMT, "Todd Lehman" <lehman@javanet.com>
wrote:
A file served from under the URL

  http://www.foo.foo/images/blort.jpg

where the /images/ directory is HTTP-password-protected with the username
and password combo of "images"/"foo" is actually far less "secure" IMHO than
a "non-secured" file with an obscure _non-linked-to_ URL, for example

  http://www.foo.foo/images/z7jd8x9yri8jz2qtc6jzk2m8vz8.jpg

To a cracker, maybe. To the average person? No.

Security through obscurity may be a weak form of security, but it's still
security (i.e., the intended limitation of viewing).  In fact, any file on
any webserver that's not linked to from some normally-navigable public page
on that webserver is a file which I would call "secured" in some way or
another.  (Again, maybe security through obscurity, but if a file isn't
linked to, then clearly the intention is for it not to be seen.)

Not necessarily. Does http://www.whatever.edu/ contain links to all
the users /~user directories? In 90% of the cases, in my experience,.
not. Same for ISPs.

So 90% of the web is not intended to be seen by your logic.

Security through obscurity is no security at all. Obscurity does not
exist.

Making the UID 0 account "thresh"/password "qwerty" doesn't constitute
security either.

Jasper