 Administrative / General / 3799
Re: Policy clarification regarding catalogs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 1999 14:48:06 GMT

On Sat, 18 Dec 1999 06:18:02 GMT, "James Brown"
<galliard@shades-of-night.com> wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Jasper Janssen writes:

No, you're defining webserver differently.  I'm not going to bother quibbling
semantics with you.

Gee. That's rather a cop-out, isn't it?

Yes. It's available via the webserver, in what is commonly known in
technical terms as "the public area".

No.  "in a place public can get to" != publically available != published.  The
three of them often co-incide, but do not necessarily do so.

Yes, it does.

Ah!  I see the problem here - you're arguing legalities.  I don't care two
hoots for the legalities of the issue, I'm talking common courtesy.

This is not about courtesy. At all.

This is about a claim Brad made that it was _legally_ so. I am not
saying it isn't impolite (though I don't agree..), I am saying it
isn't illegal. _That_ is the claim that needs to be challenged. I am
not going to let some clueless corporate lawyer (whichever company he
is from) and an equally clueless judge completely screw up the
internet as we know it, if I can help it.

Certainly it is the originators right to determine "intent to publish", not
Joe Public.

Oh. So if I print a few hundred folders, crop-dust them over the inner
city, then say that everyone who's read it, or shown it to friends, or
given it away has violated my copyright because I didn't intend to
publish it, I have a leg to stand on?

You're being ridiculous - the analogy fails on several levels.  For one thing,
the actions you describe are intent to publish.

Oh, really? I thought it was the originators' right to determine
intent to publish, not Joe Public's? You're contradicting yourself.

Joe Web Designer snaps and decides he hates his boss.  He removes the firewall
protection, and posts a URL to the accounts receivable information.

Joe Hacker decides to have a little fun, and hacks around on foo.com until he
finds a hole through the firewall, or a password that gets him through the
incryption.  He pulls the information through, and turns foo.com into a splash
page with next years product line.

Note that these both involve criminal actions, and thus are ineligible
as examples.

Joe Web Designer mistypes a line in a script, and loads all the employee's
payroll information to the wrong server, and now it's on the www page.

Tough. Life sucks sometimes.

But it doesn't really matter.  You're talking legalities - Yes, I agree, if
it's on the public side of a firewall, it's "legally" public.  But like I said
above, I don't care about the legalities of it, I'm talking about politeness.

Again, politeness is not the issue here.

Jasper