 Administrative / General / 3753
Re: Policy clarification regarding catalogs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 1999 01:24:29 GMT

On Sat, 18 Dec 1999 00:36:12 GMT, "James Brown"
<galliard@shades-of-night.com> wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Matthew Miller writes:
James Brown <galliard@shades-of-night.com> wrote:

That's the same logic as "Anything in a store is for sale, that's what a
store is FOR."

Anything in a store _is_ for sale. Anything that isn't for sale isn't
_in_ the store, it's _a part of_ the store.

That's the only way for the analogy of the web to a store even to
remotely work.

Nope, it's not.  It's a very close analogy to what Jasper posted:
"Yes, it is. Anything on an unsecured webserver is being published."
Which you refute much more logically below.

No he doesn't. He agrees with me in every regard.

Obviously, not everything on the web server itself is public. For example,
www.lego.com runs on Microsoft IIS on top of NT 4 -- obviously the system

IIS is not "on" the webserver in the sense I was using. It is software
that is stored on the hard disk in the physical web server, and
running on it. This has nothing, but utterly _nothing_ to do with the
_logical_ webserver.

"on the webserver" === documents to be made publicly available area.

As a real-life example, there is a directory on <http:www.shades-of-night.com>
that gets pictures and documents posted to it to make them available to friends
of ours who can't (for whatever reason) receive them via e-mail.  Are they
"published"?  No.

Yes. It's available via the webserver, in what is commonly known in
technical terms as "the public area".

Ask a judge.

As another example, what if I receive an e-mail from company X, because I'm a
loyal customer.  It gives me a code that I can enter on their website that
takes me to a "special offers" area where I can get a deal on product A.  The
information on the other side of that code could be linked directly by a URL,
but it certainly isn't meant to be publically available.

If it can, it's a very poorly designed website. I think you'll find it
can't in most cases. And, quite frankly, posting the link to such
would not constitute a breach of copyright. Reproducing the code,
OTOH, would.

Certainly it is the originators right to determine "intent to publish", not Joe
Public.

Oh. So if I print a few hundred folders, crop-dust them over the inner
city, then say that everyone who's read it, or shown it to friends, or
given it away has violated my copyright because I didn't intend to
publish it, I have a leg to stand on?

Please.

I could give other examples  as well, and I'm not even remotely an expert.

Probably equally easily disproved.

Jasper