 Administrative / General / 3821
Re: Policy clarification regarding catalogs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 03:46:55 GMT

<385C70D7.568E345D@voyager.net> <FMzorw.GrH@lugnet.com>

Todd Lehman wrote:

[...]
We are beating a deceased equine here. Todd is wrong about the law. LEGO
is wrong about the law. Insisting makes Todd look foolish, and it makes
LEGO look foolish. But, let them insist all they wish.

Uhm, excuse me, exactly what did I saw that was wrong about the law?

--Todd

Well I did some digging to find examples but not as much as I could
have. While I'd love to devote the time some of the rest of you have to
this topic, I have a house to pack up so it can be marketed. (1) However
one jumps right out at me, to wit, this post:

http://www.lugnet.com/announce/?n=405

Depending on how one construes "WRONGFULLY", (2) it left me with the
impression, correct or incorrect, that your position was that posting
links that one found by nosing around on a public server was not merely
impolite, but actually illegal. That's wrong. It isn't illegal, just
rude.

But I was quoted out of context. The context here is that I feel it's
not enough that we all on LUGNET hew to the letter of the law, or even
to your wishes, but that we must do more. We must behave as responsible
individuals, worthy of being consulted by decision makers at TLG. That
does not mean that we chuck common sense out the window when TLG lawyers
do the usual corporate thing, but it does mean that we should be
respectful of TLG wishes when it is only common courtesy to do so, and
that we should be respectful of each other, our ideas, our ideals, our
sensibilities, and our mores in this community we are building here.
(which is apropos of another topic brewing here now, that of community
standards)

That's what is important, not what the letter of the law is or who said
what, and that was one of the points I was trying to make. The other is
that this is your (Todd's) sandbox, and as long as you are not actually
requiring us to do something illegal ourselves, we can either abide by
the TOS or not be here. (and that is a point I've made time and time
again, but it bears repeating...) We can try to convince you differently
but once you say, "enough, my mind is made up on this point, thanks for
the input", we should stop.

1 - We are selling our house (and buying one that, among other things,
is much more suited to LEGO as a hobby, can you say a basement with
floor to ceiling steel shelving already installed along one wall, 2
extra block courses, and a 30x40 clear span in the center... the stock
market has been very good to me lately. (3) )...

2 - and normally, "wrongfully" is used when speaking in a legal sense.
Hence my read

3 - no actually it was all those blue hoppers, so long and thanks for
all the bricks.