 Administrative / General / 3763
Re: Policy clarification regarding catalogs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 1999 01:44:16 GMT

On Sat, 18 Dec 1999 01:19:38 GMT, "Todd Lehman" <lehman@javanet.com>
wrote:

Hmm, maybe that's the heart of the controversy right there!

Probably.

I dunno about the net population at large, but I'd certainly experience
guilt feelings if I summoned up an image to which there was no readily-
obvious hyperlink, because I'd assume that the reason there was no link
was because I wasn't supposed to see it or find it.  Then again, I'm not
someone who snoops in people's medicine cabinets either (not that anyone
here is).

Maybe you haven't spent much time on personal homepages.

Misspelled links in the source are more common than correct ones, it
sometimes seems.

Oh, and of course all webdevelopment gets done on case-insenstive
FAT16/32. And then it gets uploaded to a *nix server.

And they usually don't even have the grace to be embarassed about it.

Not to mention the corporate sites that look fine in 1200*1600, but
for which the entire content is lost in enclosing frames when seen in
640*480.

And the corporate sites which link to all their product via a single
image-map jpg.. where the jpg is a missing link. (Ouch. And these
people make _fireworks_? Dangerous gunpowder and all?)

Don't tell me you've never encountered any of those, and have never
hand-entered a URL into a browser.

Oh, and how do sites on multiple servers fare? Does /index on those
servers count as "linked"?

Jasper