 Administrative / General / 3775
Re: Policy clarification regarding catalogs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 1999 02:39:58 GMT

Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:
Heh heh.  No no, I mean when you find some directory with 755 permissions
(instead of 711 permissions) and it's got no index.html file, but it's got
a home.html file linked to from elsewhere, and home.html contains links to
5 images in its directory, but there are actually 7 images in the directory.
If you look at the other 2 that aren't linked to, then IMHO that's snooping,
unless there's a link somewhere to the directory itself.

*shrug*

It's snooping in stuff that they've made publicly available. Walking down
the public alley behind a store because you're curious about what might be
back there could possibly be called "snooping", but it's not unethical by
any means. (And I'm not talking about casing the joint for a future heist or
anything. *grin* That's a whole seperate issue.)