 Off-Topic / Debate / 2900
Re: Policy clarification regarding catalogs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 19 Dec 1999 02:36:51 GMT

Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Mike Stanley writes:
I dunno about the net population at large, but I'd certainly experience
guilt feelings if I summoned up an image to which there was no readily-
obvious hyperlink, because I'd assume that the reason there was no link
was because I wasn't supposed to see it or find it.  Then again, I'm not
someone who snoops in people's medicine cabinets either (not that anyone
here is).

That's silly.  Those two have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

What two?

Bringing up a world-readable image on a publicly accessible
webserver (by any means - either mistyping or experimenting with
urls) and invading someone's privacy by going through their medicine
cabinets.  I don't think you were try to imply they were the same,
but they are so NOT the same that to even mention them together is,
well, stupid and potentially inflammatory.

I know my friend Jack takes Clariton now and some form of inhalable
allergy drug.  I know that because when I use his facilities when we
watch movies at their place (something we'll do less now that I have
a brand new tv that's bigger than his) I see his allergy medicing
sitting on the sink where he leaves it.  I have no idea what he
keeps in his cabinet or, to be honest, if he even has a medicine
cabinet.

Brad even specifically mentioned something about "by accident or by
intent".  So you're telling me that if you accidentally mistype a
character in a URL and end up seeing an image you can't find a
hyperlink to you feel guilty?  That's preposterous.

Heh heh...no, that's not what I meant by "summoned up"; I was referring to
snooping or URL trolling.  If I summoned up an image by accident, I'd be
surprised more than anything else.

Mmmm.

--
The parts you want and nothing else?