 Administrative / General / 3773
Re: Policy clarification regarding catalogs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 1999 02:37:20 GMT

Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:
I thought we were talking about links to images.

There's a difference?

(I'm serious.)

Anyway, Brad Justus' statement is about "images or material".

I think the fact that the images are *gone* now expresses an even stronger
intent not to publish.  :)

*shrug* Perhaps. The web site that was at <URL:http://quote.tln.net/> isn't
there any more. Doesn't mean I didn't mean to publish it. :)

before they were taken down.  But if URLs were gotten by guessing or poking
and making up new ones and discovering things that aren't linked to, then
that's gotta be different considering the intent-to-publish thing.  (I mean
ethically and respectfully, not legally and technically.)

I think I would seperate ethically from that as a third aspect. I can be
respectful without feeling an ethical obligation to do so.

Right now, I'm 100% concerned with the "legally and technically" issue. I
think that respectfully, if it's clear that Lego doesn't want such things
published (it wasn't) than they shouldn't be.

But, on the other hand, if they think that they have some sort of right for
me to not provide links to their images, I don't feel that's something that
people _should_ respect, because it leads to bad things.