 Off-Topic / Debate / 2855
Re: Ponte Vecchio - Elevated Road Bridge Over Rail
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 18:25:39 GMT

Lorbaat wrote:

In lugnet.town, Gary R. Istok writes:

The Ponte Vecchio bridge is very interesting because
on top of the bridge are 2 galleries,  the lower gallery consists of shops and
stores, and the upper gallery is known the Vasari Corridor that connects the
Uffizi
Gallery (Palace)on one side of the bridge with the Pitti Palace on the other
side.

Err.  I think it's a bit far from the Pitti, if memory serves.  And I'm not so
sure it (presently) connects to the Uffizi.

Today this upper corridor is used as a picture gallery (on a bridge!).

If so, it's not open to the public, or part of the Uffizi Museum.

The bridge
was built in 1345, and is the first segmented arch bridge built in the West.
It
was also the only bridge over the River Arno that was not destroyed by the
retreating Germans in World War II.

The anecdote I heard was that the commanding officer was an architechture buff,
and disobeyed orders so as not to destroy it.  He did, however, render it
unusable by blowing the connections to the Arno's banks, so it was standing
free in the river.

eric

Eric,  I'm not sure about whether or not the passageway is walkable from the Uffizi
to the Pitti palaces, (partly because I've never been to Florence) but I have a
large book on sights in Florence, and it show an arial view of the old town.  The
book shows the passageway connecting the 2 palaces via the Ponte Vecchio.  I
thought I was rather strange looking, because as you stated the Pitti is rather far
from the river.  But it did show the Pitti connected to the bridge, and the bridge
connected to the Uffizi.  But like you said, whether anyone is allowed to travel
the entire length is doubtful, probably for security reasons.

Gary Istok