 Off-Topic / Debate / 2857
Re: Ponte Vecchio - Elevated Road Bridge Over Rail
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 19:29:46 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Gary R. Istok writes:

Eric,  I'm not sure about whether or not the passageway is walkable from the
Uffizi
to the Pitti palaces, (partly because I've never been to Florence) but I have
large book on sights in Florence, and it show an arial view of the old town.
The
book shows the passageway connecting the 2 palaces via the Ponte Vecchio.  I
thought I was rather strange looking, because as you stated the Pitti is
rather far
from the river.  But it did show the Pitti connected to the bridge, and the
bridge
connected to the Uffizi.  But like you said, whether anyone is allowed to
travel
the entire length is doubtful, probably for security reasons.

Huh.

Well, it's entirely possible that the walkway once connected the Uffizi to
Pitti.  I mean, certainly the Machiavelli had enough money to throw at it to
get it accomplished.  It seems a little absurd, but certainly physically
possible, and I wouldn't argue with a source that says it was.  Wow.  Learn
something new every day. :D

I know the passageway still spans the bridge, and is in some of the pictures I
have.  It goes over the Northeast side of the bridge (I'm guessing at the side
by the orientation of the sunset).

I don't think the span that went from the bridge to the Pitti is still in
place.  Whether or not it goes to the Uffizi... well, it's possible, there are
tall structures the whole way.  But we explored (the public parts of) the
Gallery itself pretty thoroughly, and it didn't go anywhere near the bridge
(which is about half a block away at it's closest point).  It might be
connected still and used as either storage or a privte gallery of some kind,
though.

My travelling companion thought it had been converted into a restaurant, but
that was false (at least, according to the jewelers on the bridge).

eric