 Off-Topic / Debate / 2931
Re: Language slipping?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 19:30:12 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher Lannan writes:
I don't think anyone would argue that obscenity is anything other than a
social and/or personal convention, rather than some inherent quality or
state; it's largely a matter of consensus.  That's not to say obscenity
doesn't "exist"--it exists as surely as language or any other social
convention, but you're right that it's hard to "prove" one way or the other.

Then tell me what "obscenity" is, since it exists.

Obscene is one of a number of slippery words that are contextually defined.
In most english speaking countries, for example, bodily waste is refered to by
multiple terms, some "obscene", some not.  It generally depends on the context
for most of them, but the obvious (common, 4 letter) one is almost invariably
"obscene", as it is defined so by the (common) social context as such.
Generally speaking, when something is being refered to in the crudest terms
available, it is considered "obscene"

Meriam Webster has an excellent definition of obscene that applies to the
debate at hand (def. b):"containing or being language regarded as taboo in
polite usage"

Which was why I started this whole thing in the first place - I found the
language at Lugnet was starting to slide from "polite usage"

I am also a staunch supporter of polite (and creative) degredation in
opposition to crude language.  Which is to say "Were you perhaps dropped on
your head as a child?" is far more interesting than "Stupid!"  I like british
humour, too. ;)

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/