 Administrative / General / 3907
Re: Language slipping?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 18:55:29 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, James Simpson writes:
In lugnet.admin.general, Frank Filz writes:
Of course just to be troublesome, the S word is actually a perfectly valid
English word. As a verb, it is conjugated similarly to "sit". The only
reason it is vulgar is that a rather uppity Frenchman invited himself into
the English court, and decreed French the language of the state. During this
time, certain English words became passe, and many French words entered the
common language.

  When I read this in italicized, quoted form, it looked like you were
discussing the "Sword" as in "pointy metal stick."  I confess I had difficulty
following your post until I got my brains unscrambled.

   Dave!