 Administrative / General / 3903
Re: Language slipping?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 17:21:44 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Eric Kingsley writes:

It seems you and I agree. Like I said- IF the young person does not know the
word, (though most do) then he will not infer the word from a partial
spelling. The only people to infer a dirty word will be those who are • familiar
with it and already "spoiled"

Here's my own definition-
Obscenity- a word used by the speaker to describe something that he finds
objectionable.

I guess my definition would be - using objectionable wording to describe
something that someone finds objectionable.

Circular logic is logic that is circular ;) Obscenity is something that is
obscene.

I think using your definition if taken litteraly would mean just replying to
something you found objectionable would be by definition considered an
Obscenity.  I know that is not what you meant but taken litteraly that is what
I read.

You're right! That's exactly what I meant. It's "eye of the beholder" mixed in
with some "community standards" generally agreed upon stuff. I just meant that
there is no OBJECTIVE way to define obscenity. You can't tell someone what it
is, you can just point to it after the fact and say "there it is."

This is tough too because what is objectionable to me may not be objectionable
to you and vice versa.  To some using God or Hell in a certain context is
objectionable and to some it is not.  I think there are some obvious 3 and 4
letter words we can all agree on however and with a little common sense and
patience I think we can avoid them.

I totally agree. Like I said "devil's advocate" I very much enjoy debates of
this nature. (And I think I'll move this over to off-topic debate)

Pornography- a word used by the speaker to describe media which portrays
people having more fun than he is, and doing something he could probably use
some of himself!

Here's some more random thoughts- Strong violence is "ok" for this group, the
recently posted pictures of the battle of Yellow Castle showed 'figs getting
decapitated. Srtong sexual content is not ok- what if someone posted an
illustrated Kama Sutra with 'figs as the models? (Hmmmm.... idea)

If two people are making out heavily in a park people make disgusted sounds
and say things like "get a room." If two people start fighting in a park a
crowd gathers.

Very good point!  I guess it goes back to society at one level and your
perspective at another.  I do find violance somewhat objectionable but no • where
near as objectionable as Pornography.

My point exactly- pornography is to you something that is objectionable to
you- there is no other workable definition.
I can tolerate violance to an extent but
I cannot tolerate pornography at all.  What exactly that means I don't know
although I do know it is a bit sad that violance is tolerated to such an • extent
in todays society. • Yup- guns is G or PG, boobs is R.

Eric K.