 Administrative / General / 3906
Re: Language slipping?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 18:45:49 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Frank Filz writes:

Of course just to be troublesome, the S word is actually a perfectly valid
English word. As a verb, it is conjugated similarly to "sit". The only
reason it is vulgar is that a rather uppity Frenchman invited himself into
the English court, and decreed French the language of the state. During this
time, certain English words became passe, and many French words entered the
common language.

Most of the words in English that refer to "basic" things or actions have a
French counter part; the English words are generally considered the baser,
informal, or perhaps "lower-class" of the two, while the the French words for
the same thing or concept are used to give something a "touch of class."  For
example:

English: calf
French: veal

English: eat
French: dine

English: deer
French: venison

English: sheep
French: mutton

It even applies to vulgarities; the French word "urinate" is our only acceptable
word for that action in English.  (Sure, abstract words such as "expel" could be
used, but I am here discussing words with a "hard" meaning; words that are
properly basic to the action being applied or the thing in question, rather than
the adoption of replacement words.)

In America we tend to use French words to give things "class;" i.e. to have a
reason to charge more for the same product.  For example: boutique, Por en
Homme.

I think that it is fair to say that our cultural fascination/love-hate
relationship with France and the French language hails from the French
domination of England and the long centuries in which French (well, Old French)
was the language of education, politics, nobility, and law in England.

Just my 2 er, uh, I was trying to be cute, but I can't think of the French word
for cents.