 Off-Topic / Debate / 2935
Re: Language slipping?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 20:19:35 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher Lannan writes:
Well, it seems that when we are reminded to "keep it clean" that there is a
group effort at work defining what is "clean" and what isn't. If a word is
only obscene to one person, and not to others, then one can hardly be
reprimanded for posting the obscene-to-one-person word. There would simply be
no way of knowing ahead of time. Now, if I said (insert random word) and you
replied that you find it to be obscene, I probably would, just to be polite,
refrain from using that word in your presence in the future.

  Good points, and bravo to you for bringing this debate out of the realm of
the pointlessly theorical and putting it back into Lugnet!

I think for the purposes of LUGNET- it's obscene if Todd says it is.
Or maybe- don't post anything you wouldn't want your child to repeat in
school. (Like CRAPP?)

  Agreed.  Some people might not like this seeming Monarchy of Lugnet, but it
*is* Todd's sandbox (as someone else coined it in another thread), and we all
agreed to his terms and conditions.  At the same time, and at the risk of
apple-polishing, I applaud Todd's willingness to hear the will of the "people"
in making decisions of this sort.

   Dave!