 Administrative / General / 3895
Re: Language slipping?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 16:10:18 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Jasper Janssen writes:
On Fri, 17 Dec 1999 23:56:19 GMT, "Christopher Lannan"
<shakguy@hotspammail.com> wrote:

I disagree. Using symbols to replace the letters of a "profane" word is not
the same as spelling it out. If a young person who does not know such words
reads it, he won't know what it means.

Oh come on.

Please. You know as well as the rest of us that children _do_ know
those words. The more you try to hide it, the earlier they know.

Besides, the words themselves aren't the problem. It's the intent
behind them.

It seems you and I agree. Like I said- IF the young person does not know the
word, (though most do) then he will not infer the word from a partial
spelling. The only people to infer a dirty word will be those who are familiar
with it and already "spoiled"

Chris "fu*k" Lannan (the "*" is for "n" ;) )

You do know what "funk" was, before the 70's arrived, don't you? Look
it up..

Jasper

Well- you got me there- I was really just trying to be "cute" and replacing
the c with an n was the first thing I thought of.

Guys, I'm really just playing Devil's advocate here. Practically speaking, I
know what is going to commonly be considered obscene, and I will abide by the
T&Es.
However- can any one give me a definition of what is "obscene" ?
Is it only something where you can point at it and say- "that is obscene" but
you can't define ahead of time what qualities make it obscene?

Here's my own definition-
Obscenity- a word used by the speaker to describe something that he finds
objectionable.

Pornography- a word used by the speaker to describe media which portrays
people having more fun than he is, and doing something he could probably use
some of himself!

Here's some more random thoughts- Strong violence is "ok" for this group, the
recently posted pictures of the battle of Yellow Castle showed 'figs getting
decapitated. Srtong sexual content is not ok- what if someone posted an
illustrated Kama Sutra with 'figs as the models? (Hmmmm.... idea)

If two people are making out heavily in a park people make disgusted sounds
and say things like "get a room." If two people start fighting in a park a
crowd gathers.

Chris