 Off-Topic / Debate / 2905
Re: Taxes from Lego auctions?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 19 Dec 1999 21:47:17 GMT

On Sat, 18 Dec 1999 20:58:24 GMT, "Richard Marchetti"
<BlueOfNoon@aol.com> wrote:

What are those immutable minority rights?  Well, the rights of an individual.
What are the rights of an individual?  Well, you could read about them in
partial lists like the Constitution, the Declaration of Independence, Magna
Carta, State Constitutions, Title 42 of the Federal Codes -- but all such
lists are considered partial only.  Theoretically, an individual has any

The Universal declaration of Hum.. Oh. Wait. Forget I said that.

rights they may wish to test in a court of law. For example, let's say you are
a black woman and it is your ambition to ride on the front of a bus even
though laws passed by a majority in your state forbids you to do so -- well,
violate the law, test the law in court, and find out what your rights REALLY
are! Guess what?  Blacks are allowed to ride on the front end of a bus despite
what the majority ruled -- thank the gods...

So how does this relate to taxes? I don't think I've ever heard of a
court case where it was ruled that you don't have to pay the taxes
defined in the laws of the land. If there had been, you wouldn't be
the major economic and military power in the world, you'd be in chaos
and anarchy ala Russia.

One old law saying analogizes the conflict of rights between two parties, or
perhaps between a majority and a minority, this way: "You have the right to
swing your arm right up to the tip of my nose."

Indeed. But if you swing your fist closer than one or two feet to me,
you will probably find yourself in close encounter with mine as well.

Monies obtained from selling old toys may have less to do with realizing
profits than receiving the inflationary equivalent in Federal Reserve Notes of
what the item was originally worth -- or had this never ocurred to you?
Profits are not sullied when the currency is pure (commodity).  When its
printed on paper and backed by nothing -- it IS essentially nothing.

I believe the topic had drifted somewhat more into the general case of
taxes, rather than the Subject: header.

When Grandma used to buy a deli pickle for a dime -- that dime was minted in
silver and had all of the characteristics of U.S. currency as stipulated by
the Constitution.  The fact that I might have to spend a dollar to obtain the
same deli pickle has something to do with the fact that money has been
devalued -- not only because that dollar is not minted in precious metal, but
also because they may and DO simply make many more of them than they should.
I was tempted to say "more than they can back with the appropriate weight in
commodities;" but sadly, our money in the U.S. is backed by nothing at all.

Oh, puh-leeze. The US economy is doing quite well, do you really think
that a gold-backed system of very limited availability currency would
do better? M1 needs to have a certain size simply to make sure all
transactions can be carried out in cash. If it doesn't have that size,
deflation will skyrocket. That is not a good thing. For one thing, it
is rather bad for banks. Too much deflation, and banksgo out of
business. Banks start going out of business, everybody loses faith in
your economy, investors domestic and foreign pull out, no investment,
no production, no economy. And let's not forget what happens when the
federal governmenty goes bankrupt because it can no longer pay the
interest on tne national debt.

If there is too much money, inflation will skyrocket. I haven't
exactly seen that happening in the US either. For crying out loud,
it's only at a few percent now.

Its all a matter of faith now, digital faith in many cases -- like may a
person's directly deposited earnings.

Yes.... and?

Back in the days of the Articles of Confederation, it was said that people
papered the walls with currency because it wasn't worth anything from one day
to the next...and after all, it was JUST paper...

...I'm not sure why this hasn't happened in the present.  Perhaps its similar
to the valuation of internet stocks -- no one wants to see the bottom drop
out, so everyone pretends the stocks have a value.

But to these 35 year old eyes, when the emperor is nude --  the emperor is
wearing no clothes!

Tell ya what. You go sit in the hills with all your savings in bare
gold and jewels and an arsenal for Y2K, and we'll celebrate. How does
that sound?

Jasper