 Off-Topic / Debate / 2967
Re: Taxes from Lego auctions?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 25 Dec 1999 06:02:44 GMT

Usury schmusery. Who cares what the bible says? I can't believe you were
using it to support your argument. Interest is legitimately set by the
market. In a free market, money costs what the market says it does.
Lenders compete for business by setting the rate they want to get.
Borrowers compete for money by setting the rate they're willing to pay.

I, as a capitalist, have the right to dispose of my capital as I see
fit, based on my choice of risk and reward ratios. Don't you DARE tell
me that I can't enter into a contract with a borrower that has fixed
payments, including interest. You have no right to restrict my ability
to enter into contracts that way.

Okay, sorry.  I see that you are talking something like my language.  And I
wasn't using the bible to justify anything, merely pointing out the many
faiths have this idea in there somewhere (relating it back to another offshoot
of this thread).  I guess what I find/found a little hard to follow is the
particular way you are negotiating your ideals AND real world activities.  I
have real world activities too, but I find that they rarely have anything to
do with my ideals.  Let's just say that the real world is in the basement of
my ideals.

And no, I don't really care what sort of quasi-ponzi, quasi-tontine, quasi-
whatever sorts of schemes my fellows want to get involved in -- truly their
own business.

And your right, the thread(s) are getting out of hand -- taxes, interest,
property...

...Where will it end?

Merry Xmas, Hopper Man!

=)