 Off-Topic / Debate / 2972
Re: Taxes from Lego auctions?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 25 Dec 1999 22:57:40 GMT

On Sat, 25 Dec 1999 03:12:39 GMT, "James Powell"
<wx732@freenet.victoria.bc.ca> wrote:

Oops :)  Mind you, I have no doubt that they were -scrap- metal, and probably
useless as rockets (except for Guy Fawks Night/4th July type rockets :)

So how do you feel about that plan to take all the decommisioned
used-to-be-nukes missiles and loading them up with lots of fake
meteorites for the millennium next year?

The US can plant a Nuke anywhere on the surface of the earth.  If you can
launch a satalite, then you can get a nuke to anywhere on the earth from most
anywhere else.

The problem is getting it there before the Patriots shoot it down (or
whatever the equivalent is - I know I've heard of equivalents
existing, at least)

I think Tom Clancy covered it best, His words were "At Ground 0 It doesn't
matter if a Nuke fell out of a B2 or a Zepplin"

Wasn't there something about wanting a 20 Mton nuke to be at LEO
altitude for "best" (largest blastradius) effect?

Most Nuclear missiles do not carry multi megaton rockets.  The only ones that I
know of that were targeted with _large_ nuke warheads (Technically,
Thermonuclear, as anything bigger than 20Kt is Fission-Fusion, and above about
120Kt is Fission-Fusion-Fission)  was the NORAD command post in wyoming, and
the russian equivilent.

I've heard recently mutterings that the mountain was essentially
outdated by the seventies, due to advances in delivery systems and the
thing simply Not Being Capable of sustaining a direct hit (and
surviving).

From the rumours, it's supposed to have been replaced by airborne
versions. Presumably converted 747's or DC10's.

Heh. I wonder just _how_ many countries actually have nukes or not. I
know the Netherlands wouldn't have any trouble at all making a few if
we didn't think it would get our arse kicked by the States. You know
those Pakistani we wer talking about? Their chief nuke-builder was
trained here (admittedly, in the art of refining Uranium rather than
building the things, but that turns out to be the hardest part). Big
scandal back in the seventies. We also have (for the time being) one
nuclear power plant left where we can easily produce plutonium.

The hard part is getting the material.  Making the bomb is not all that hard.

Well, yeah. Did I mention that the university I studied at had a 1
Megawatt experimental reactor? That's in addition to the <whatever>
megawatt commercial plant that's been officially shut down, but is
still there as far as I know, and the one that is to be shut down by
2002.

And you thought you had it bad...we -gave- India the reactor used to produce
the Plutonium in the late 50's...

Ouch.

If you have university level nuclear engineering deparments, you have the
ability to build a weapon.  The hard part is extracting the Plotonium from the
used fuel (and yes, I am aware that you can use something other than Pu for the
fissiable material)

A uranium bomb is inherently easier to make and smaller than Pu, isn't
it? At least, that's what used to be the case in '45. Developments
since then could have changed that, maybe.

I'd rather be a primary target than die from radiation...

Indeed. Speaking only for the selfish gene, I think my DNA would want
me to be a primary target instead of living to pass on faulty versions
of itself.

LS James Powell, Royal Canadian Navy,

Does that stand for Lieutenant at Sea, by any chance? I'm a bit
ignorant about Army (or navy) protocol.

My Views, not my Employers (have to add
that to this topic...)

I can imagine why you'd say it...