 Off-Topic / Debate / 2962
Re: Taxes from Lego auctions?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 25 Dec 1999 02:39:19 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jasper Janssen writes:

That's probably _because_ I'm not a native speaker.

Okay, let me rephrase that.

"Even though that is a sad thought, it happens to be truth" (or
possibly even TRVTH..)

It's Ok then,..:-)

Yeah. At least the US won't be taken over by junta number x tomorrow.
See Ivory Coast, which was until recently consodered a "stable"
country. The former USSR, on the other hand, is a lot more worrying
than Pakistan right now.

Yeah. again when I was a rocket scientist, once we took delivery of trucks load
of abondoned missiles and missle parts from the former USSR which were having a
strange story. a Turkish trader who were buying and selling metal wreckages,
bought them unknowingly from a USSR country, and while they were entering from
the Turkish border it had been seen that they were weapons somehow and
immediately taken over by the government and sent to us. They had not armed
and/or in good condition of course, but especially our control engineers
learned much from them..:-) USSR control on these critical items seems really
suspicious to me since then.

By the way, we (Turks) done it well(!) We still didn't loose our stability(!)
after three juntas in 60 years. Further, we have 2-3 digit inflation for
decades (25 year?) but still don't know what a hyper inflation is..:-)
Going against the know rules, just weird...

Fall-out waits for no man... That stuff goes far. Remember Chernobyl?
The fallout made crops from all over Europe dangerous to eat.

<big snip about nuclear danger>

Wow! Actually I'm also aware of all these (I've read several books having
titles nuclear danger and the like) and it was a joke only, but your geekness
is so top notch that I haven't seen anyone in Lugnet borders at your calibre
yet..:-) At least, your geeknes/age coefficient must be a record breaking one.

Depends on who's "they". The US has had suborbital missiles capable of

they=Pakistan (we were talking about Pakistan, right?.:-)

delivering nukes to Moscow or Sydney from US soil for quite a while,
as I understand it at least. I doubt something like Pakistan or India

10000 km range is very common, and I know (from Jane's) that ther are even more
than that, though I can't exactly remember. Besides, there are many nuke
capable subs around..:-) What is weird to me, they generally carry more than
one several megatons warheads, their seperation from target specified as a
diameter of around 100m..:-) I can't imagine what is the reasioning of being
capable of shooting someone with a nuclear warhead of several megatons from
betwwen his/her eyes..:-)

As much as we might like otherwise, having the capability to defend
yourself is in many cases simply not an option. Not when you go
against the US or China.

Trying to have a defense capability against former USSR, US or China is of
course just a very long shot, that's sure, so the main concern for a country
like us is the possible regional conflicts, so I can understand more than 400
figter planes, a considerable airlift capability and about 5000 MBTs
considering the inventory of the same of our very nice and kind neighbours, but
a carrier?..It's just a big stretch, especially considering 25% of the budget
is already a little bit stretch.

I wish our country would have been established on a much more stable
geographical place.

(1) As being just another third worlder, Turkey is one of the biggest nuclear
weapon storages of the world but fortunately (for the rest of the world..:-)
they are not under control of us, but under control of US..:-)

Heh. I wonder just _how_ many countries actually have nukes or not. I
know the Netherlands wouldn't have any trouble at all making a few if
we didn't think it would get our arse kicked by the States. You know
those Pakistani we wer talking about? Their chief nuke-builder was
trained here (admittedly, in the art of refining Uranium rather than
building the things, but that turns out to be the hardest part). Big
scandal back in the seventies. We also have (for the time being) one
nuclear power plant left where we can easily produce plutonium.

I think (actually I'm 99.99% sure) that we don't have the technological
capability, and it's not likely to have by being a country having so less
interest in science and technological development, although we have two very
small scale power plants and nuclear energy engineering departments in at least
two universties. Besides, our missile know-how is still under 500km. The
tactical nuclear weapons, by the way, (the ones like old Sergeants and Nikes
and Russian Frogs) are widely spread and in inventories of many armies,
including ours, AFAIK.

We also used to have a lot of US nukes stationed here. Of the 5 core
nuclear capabilities they had here, 4 have been dismantled. But
there's still a base somewhere where rapidly aging nuclear missiles
are being stored, because the US doesn't really want to go through the
trouble of reimporting them and dismantling them. So we've got this
area of land somewhere where you _will_ be shot with extreme prejudice
if found.

A wide area nuclear conflict is said to be the end of the civilization that we
know today, but still it's not good that knowing that you are living on a
primary target.:-)

Selçuk