 Off-Topic / Debate / 2950
Re: Taxes from Lego auctions?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 24 Dec 1999 19:17:33 GMT

I rank banning interest right up there with defining Pi as exactly 3.
Both are about the same level of removal from reality.

I think this thread has gotten VERY far from anything I wanted to talk about,
even as off-topic debate, but even the bible prohibits usary (not a word my
spell-checker catches).  But in any case, my brief point would have been to
point out that the early colonies in America did prohibit the collection of
interest.  My other point would have been that instead of interest, why
couldn't investments capitalists be satisfied with a take in the profits?  And
no, not profits from interest, profits from making a thing for X price and
selling it at the higher Y price.  In between falls your costs and profits.

I guess I find it disheartening that it is thought that there is BUT one way
to run the world -- its just not so.  Almost everything is a social construct -
- so either deconstruct it or work around it.  There are always alternatives...

...why should we let bankers run the show?  Count me as one slave who is very
tired of making bricks for Pharoah without straw...that is to say, I am tired
of working for payment in a denomination over which not even my own government
has control of its value (yes, as in control of the wieghts and measures).
Anytime they say its worth less, they print more and make it so.  Or change
the interest rate and toy with the effects of inflation. ETC.

BTW, I am so far removed from a fundamentalist that it would make a
fundamentalist's head spin -- thought you'd like to know.  I am not even
Xtian, for that matter...

-- Richard