 Off-Topic / Debate / 2852
Re: Taxes from Lego auctions?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 16:00:33 GMT

"We live in a great country that affords us many freedoms, maybe not as • much
as it used to, and maybe not as much as it should, but it would not be • worth
losing your freedom over a few bucks, and tax evasion is serious business.

Am I right in taking what you are saying as: "technically, you may have
the right to evade taxes, but you'll get in trouble and it's really much
easier if you just go with the flow.  After all, the government slowly
stripping away freedoms isn't worth risking going to jail and losing all
your freedoms." ?

I might disagree, if so.

If
you make money off of your dealings of buying and selling on the internet,
under our current system you owe taxes on your profits(income) from these

I wouldn't call it owe...that somehow implies that it's a debt to which
I'd agreed.  I'd say that under our current system, some thugs with
really big guns will come by and take a cut as part of their protection racket.

activities, and it behooves you to get qualified tax advice from a tax
professional to aid you with your decision."

Yes.  Absolutely.  I have read that if you make over about $80K you can
cut your federal income tax by $1 for every (up to a point) $1 you are
willing to spend on lawyers and CPAs.  As far as I'm concerned I would
much rather pay them than support the government.  At least most CPAs
are actively engaged in murder.

Will Middelaer

(Please, no posts about how income taxes are illegal because the 16th
amendment was never ratified or any of that stuff.  We live within a system
that isn't so bad compared with the rest of the world, so just relax.)

What the hell is that.  Why not?  What do you care if I post about that?
Oh, I see.  So just because it "isn't so bad" we should fully support
it?  Well every time I pay income taxes (and I do because I don't want
to be killed) I feel guilty because I know that I am paying people to go
kill other people and that's just bullshit.  And there's no damn thing I
can do about it.  And I'll cling to any reasonable rationalle that I can
for why I shouldn't have to pay those taxes because I know that what I'm
doing is wrong.  I'm just shutting up and not making waves because it's
more comfortable.  Just like most Germans were doing sixty years ago.

(Since I've only alluded to it does that mean I've lost, or not?)

Chris